:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 30 juni 2010

We are officially moved into the new apartment! There are lots of finishing touches still to do -- they forgot to paint our kitchen, for one thing, and there's so much junk in the study you can barely see the carpet, for another -- but it's coming together.

Thursday -- We loaded Sarah's car, Liz's car, and part of the U-Haul around 8pm. Despite the late hour, we were all pouring sweat after just one trip up the stairs. Only we would choose to move in the middle of a triple-digit heat wave...

Friday -- The rowers showed up at 7:20am, and by 9:45am we were at the new apartment and the truck was empty. We could hardly believe it. We gave them a huge tip -- they earned it, considering the heat and the weight of some of the stuff they had to haul -- and sent them on their way. (Had we known how awful the rest of the day was going to be, unloading all the smaller items from the cars, we might have told them to stay a little longer...) Sarah came over after work and helped unload her car, which contained most of our framed artwork, and then Liz's aunt and uncle came over and brought dinner. By the end of this day, we'd made the decision to sell or dump nearly every stick of furniture we currently own before our next move (which, fortunately, won't be for at least 2 years). Watching the rowers nearly drop the couch off the third floor landing cemented that decision. If three varsity athletes can't lift it, it doesn't need to be in my house.

Saturday -- Another ridiculously sweaty day. We woke up stiff, sore, demoralized, and barely able to move, then spent the morning cleaning the old apartment. My parents rolled into town around 1pm and helped carry even more stuff up the stairs into the new place; then Mom and I made one final run to Raleigh to pick up the last few items (and clean out the refrigerator, yuck) while Dad and Liz went to Pittsboro to pick up the bookshelves we inherited from friends there (whom we call our pseudo-parents :)). We had P.F. Chang's for dinner, and started hanging up a few pictures and curtain rods.

Sunday -- Mom and Dad left, and Liz and I continued to organize. At some point, the very very LAST load of stuff was carried up the stairs (!), which did a lot for our morale. Slowly but surely, the place started looking like people actually lived in it. We also made a few runs to Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, et cetera, to pick up some smaller things like shower curtains and bathmats.

Monday -- Our pseudo-parents (the same 'friends' who gave us the bookshelves) came over and spent a ridiculous amount of time helping us decorate and hang things on the walls. Everything we didn't want to look at got tossed into the study, and as of this moment, the carpet is still barely visible in there... but the rest of the house started looking pretty darn good by this point. I also went and swam my first Masters practice since 2006, and it went great.

Tuesday -- Liz's friend from Nashville got into town today, so she came over for lunch, and then Liz had to go teach her first summer accounting class at Meredith. I spent the time organizing my hallway 'nook', which is the built-in desk where I anticipate spending most of the next two years. I'm glad I like it so much... :) I also ordered most of my instruments and one of my textbooks (which I found on deep discount); I'm meeting my assigned mentor Beth (who's in the class of 2011) for lunch on Friday and she's going to sell me some of her castoff textbooks for cheap.

Today -- Liz has been hanging out with her friend for most of the day, so I've done some furniture research (found us a potential dresser, ottoman, air mattress, and some living room artwork... the only thing left is extra-tall barstools) as well as some grocery shopping (oh, poor me, had to walk all the way across the street!) and planned a trip to the outlet mall for tomorrow to take advantage of their crazy summer sales (Banana Republic is having 40% off everything in the store, plus an extra 5% off for cardholders, plus an additional percentage off (minimum 10%) with their 'mystery discount' email. Which means I'll be getting new school clothes for, um, free? :)) I would be at my second Masters practice right now, except that there's a 'suspicious package' underneath I-40 at the exit next to our apartment, so traffic is snarled beyond repair and I have no desire to venture out in it...

...therefore: I'm going running! :)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger