:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 16 oktober 2009

It's amazing how many tiny tasks there are to do on the computer that simply don't get done during the week anymore. Silly things, like performing a hard drive backup (which takes all of five seconds), or responding to someone's Facebook comment (the 2009 equivalent of answering an email, I guess). Anyway, I've made a list of things that generally need to get done on Fridays, and I've been sitting in front of the computer, snuggled up in my red plaid flannel PJ pants and Ton-A-Wandah sweatshirt, drinking coffee and trying to complete the list. Posting to the blog is one of the things on it, by the way. :)

Let's see... what's new with me? Well, I made the decision to drop my organic chemistry class -- to use Liz's accounting terminology, the 'cost-benefit analysis' just made it completely not worth it. It was $362 (a lot of money for me) for a 3-credit class that was, in actuality, requiring 9 hours of work per week (two or three times what it theoretically should have). Also, the exams were going to be a bitch to arrange (instead of being an totally online course, as I'd been told, it turned out that since I'm not from the Oregon area, I was going to have to get each exam faxed to a local college and go there to take the exams while a professor proctored me), and -- most importantly -- I only needed the class for 2 of my prospective schools (MUSC and Pacific). Not for Duke, not for ECU, and not for UF... the three schools I'm most likely to end up attending. So I decided to cut my losses and get out (on the last day to still get a refund, as it happened). It kind of sucks that I spent so much time and energy stressing over the details of it (finding a class that didn't cost two thousand dollars, enrolling in yet another community college, making sure I got into the necessary course, doing all the work for the first chapter or two...), and it does sort of suck that I have to email MUSC and Pacific and tell them I'm withdrawing my application (another thing on the Friday list...) but them's the breaks. I wouldn't have ended up at either of those schools in the end anyway. So, even though I may have to defend that choice in my interviews, I've been a LOT happier and less stressed since making that decision, so I think it was the right one.

Not much else to report... oh, yeah, I got my (seasonal) flu shot and my (H1N1) flumist yesterday, so if you guys haven't done that yet, go ahead and do it now. I love how cavalier we are about that stuff at work -- everyone, doctors and nurses alike, just rolls up their sleeves like, oh, yeah, as long as you're getting yours, I guess I'll get mine too. We don't even bother to sit down. It's a nice change from how serious we have to be about vaccines with our patients. And I literally did not even feel the shot -- or, rather, I guess I technically felt it, but it didn't hurt a bit. I hadn't had a shot of any kind since 2006 (though I've given thousands of them since then) and I sort of forgot that I'm really NOT lying when I tell my little patients that shots really don't hurt that much... even though they always think I am. :)

Also, the NC state fair started yesterday, and we live within walking distance of the fairgrounds, which is one of the many awesome things about this apartment. On the 4th of July, we just took an evening stroll out our front door and watched the fireworks. While other people paid $10 to park at the U2 concert last weekend, Liz and her friends just walked across the street. And every day for the next week or two, we'll be able to mosey on up the block whenever we the mood strikes us and ride a Ferris wheel or eat a fried Snickers bar. And my parents are coming up for a visit in honor of the fair and the fall leaves (oh, yeah, and I guess to hang out with me and Liz a little, too), which should be a lot of fun. :)

Anyway, I guess I'll brave the unseasonably cool weather and go ahead and crank out my long run for the week. The half marathon is on November 1st, so we're getting closer. Of course, I then get no break at all before I have to start training for the full marathon in February, but the end result makes the training worth it.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger