:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 24 juli 2009

I was in the middle of drawing up seven (!) TB tests at work on Wednesday when my phone started to vibrate. I wasn't going to pick it up, but couldn't resist the temptation to check who the caller was. Glancing at the screen, I did a double take when I saw the (352) area code. Gainesville! TB tests forgotten, I sprinted for an empty exam room.

"Hello?"
"Hi, can I please speak to Jessica Weather?"
"Speaking."
"Hi Jessica, this is ________ from the University of Florida's PA program."
"Hi! How are you doing today?"
"I'm doing well; how are you?"
"I'm hanging in there!"
(laughs) "Well, I'm happy to tell you that we've reviewed your application and would like to invite you to come in for an interview!"
...
((info about dates, places, times, etc.))
...
"I think that's everything... we'll be sending you a letter with all this information at the end of next week. Do you have any questions for me?"
"Just one... how great of a day are you having, getting to call everyone and make their day?"
(laughs) "Yeah, it kind of makes up for having to go through all those applications."

Anyway, she was incredibly nice. And the interview is actually really soon -- August 31st and September 1st -- so it's going to be my first one. Which is good, since I get to go to a familiar place, spend two days, and interview in three or four one-on-one sessions with various faculty members (rather than the more traditional format -- one interview with three or four faculty members at once -- which is probably what will happen at all of the other schools). It'll be a good way to ease into the process, I think.

L is in Nashville with friends this weekend, so I'm hanging out at home tackling various projects. I cleaned the apartment last night and am currently wading through our Netflix Instant Queue, watching all the ridiculous Disney-esque chick-flick movies that I added to the list ages ago and that no self-respecting adult ever watches. Nobody, including L, ever wants to watch that type of movie with me (big surprise), so I have to 'indulge' when L isn't home. My other weekend project is cleaning her car (she took mine to Nashville since it's a sixteen-hour round trip and my car has about a third of the miles that hers does). I finally figured out why it's been smelling so bad -- there was a huge patch of mold under the back seat floor mat from where L tends to toss her travel coffee mug, heedless of whether or not it's actually empty. I dumped a box of baking soda on it, and plan to head out there after this movie ends and clean it up. Got to remember to tell her that her mug really isn't leak-proof.

Next weekend we're headed to Asheville for a friend's wedding, and I get to visit my old camp, which I haven't been to since 2004. I'm sure a lot has changed, but I'm still ridiculously excited to see the old place again. I spent eight summers there, and I bet I could still find my way around with my eyes closed.

Currently on my third mug of hazelnut coffee with cinnamon vanilla creamer (got to fuel up before I go tackle the car again). Yum.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger