:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 15 november 2006

Argh, you would not believe the frenzy today on the Josh messageboards. The presale started this morning at 10:00, and the longest five minutes of my life came when the system wouldn't log me in until 10:05 and I sat there refreshing... and refreshing... and refreshing. But I did get in, which makes me a lot luckier than some, and scored an 8th-row center ticket. Yippee! Searching for single tickets is definitely more lucrative than pairs or blocks. (Liz and some of her friends are coming with me, but they're still finalizing details on that, and they're handling the purchase themselves, so I was only responsible for my own ticket.) Anyway, I'm still trying to trade up, but if I can't, 8th row will be just fine with me, thank you very much. *smug grin*

Finally got my flu shot yesterday, and it was the easiest one I've ever had. No symptoms, no swelling, just a tiny bit of soreness at the site. That's in sharp contrast to the tetanus booster I got last April, after which I could barely raise my arm for three days (and then had an open-water competition that weekend). The nurses were nice - we got into a conversation as I was trying to leave, because one of them said to the other, "I wanna go to grad school here," and I snorted and said, "No, you don't!" (Don't worry, I was laughing when I said it.)

School is, well, school... but we've had our LAST phonetics assignment, so the only things to worry about now are the experiment and final exam. Jenna is doing the experiment part, and I'm doing the (15-page) writeup. It works out well, because she hates writing and I like it, and I generally dislike experiments and she thinks they're cool. Plus, the experimental subjects are from the department she TAs in (Spanish). So that's off my mind for a while. We also just turned in our last syntax assignment, which was a second take-home midterm. I agonized over it (mostly because I haven't been paying great attention in class recently - I'm getting end-of-the-semester-itis, plus I found out that I'm not required to ever take syntax again after I'm done with this course, so that makes it hard to pay attention) but it's in and it's done and I had something plausible for every question, sooo... yeah. Mayan Languages and Persian are as work-heavy as always, with an assignment due every class, but still, there are only 12 more school days (YAY!!!), so I can hang in there.

Athletic stuff is okay too... I'm still running 5 days a week, and my foot is still hanging in there. But I'm glad Thursday (tomorrow) and Sunday are my days off, because I'm feeling some twinges in my left knee. (Of course - because my right heel is the bad one, so my left leg always has to do more work.) I miss swimming, but I'll get to go at least once while I'm home for Thanksgiving, and see my old masters team. Plus, this isn't a permanent change - it's only until the beginning of January, once the half marathon is over. I do want to do the River Run again in March (on the first day of spring break), but three runs a week (two short, one long) will be enough to handle that, I think. I ran it on NO training last year (hadn't run in six weeks due to a flare-up of plantar fasciitis) and although I was in an incredible amount of pain for a couple of days afterwards, I did finish the race and beat the two-hour mark (1:59:41, thank you very much!), so I have every reason to think that I'll be able to drop back to three swims and three runs each week. This year's goal will be 1:45.

Liz and I have been spending a lot of time together lately, too... now that she's back from China, her schedule is restructured (don't ask me to explain how that silly accounting program works; I don't know) and so she has fewer classes than before, so she's home more (and a lot less stressed). We've spent a couple of weekend nights sitting on the kitchen counters with our respective iPods and speakers, playing song snippets and making the other 'Name That Tune' whilst making slice-and-bake cookies, drinking raspberry Smirnoff, lighting practically every candle in the apartment, and laughing ourselves sick over the dumbest things. We've also played midnight football, gone on a seesaw, knocked on random apartment doors in search of a basketball, had Dutch lessons, and made late-night Harris Teeter runs for Ben & Jerry's. I feel like I'm in high school again... but in a good way.

I guess that was really all I had to say. I'll try to fix the template as soon as I can so that my banner isn't partially hidden behind that tacky blue bar, promise. (I'm still POed over that. Morons.)

Goodni-iiiiight...

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger