:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

donderdag 3 augustus 2006

We're in the homestretch now! The kids leave Saturday morning; the staff leave Sunday morning.

A few notable notes:

1.) We went bowling on Monday night. I am, as a rule, a pretty terrible bowler. If I break 100, I'm pleased. The excuse I have long used is that of my thumbs, which are misshapen in a way that makes others refer to them as looking like big toes. (I've also heard 'drumsticks', 'tennis rackets', 'little people', etc.) These monsters of mine do not fit into standard bowling ball holes; therefore, while my companions are using the dainty pink 8- or 10-lb balls, I always need a huge blue or black 14- or 15-lb ball in order to avoid being dragged down the lane, fingers first. Now, I'm a strong chick, and I can work with it, but I have never used a ball that hasn't felt far too heavy for me. Monday night was no exception - I bowled an 82 (with my right hand) and an 87 (with my left hand, because I got exasperated with my right).

Then, magically, a purple ball appeared in our ball return. I picked it up to ask where it had come from, and realized that (a) it was considerably lighter than the ball I'd been using, though there was no weight inscribed on it, and (b) my fingers fit into the holes! It must have been custom-drilled for some club member or regular bowler who attended that lane, and had just accidentally wound up being used. I closed my mouth, resolved to keep the ball, and started my third game.

I proceeded to bowl a 162. Easily 50 points higher than I've ever bowled in my life. Ridiculous!

2.) I went kneeboarding twice this week, both times with kids alongside me. We have two kneeboards (one black, one yellow) and two tow ropes, so we can pull two people at once if the kids are so inclined, which is a lot of fun. Anyway, I had my 'kneeboard orientation' on the yellow (older) kneeboard during the first week of camp, but the kids all want to use the black kneeboard because (a) it's heavier, thus sturdier, and (b) it has a sort of hook at the top to hold the tow handle while the rider is in the process of maneuvering from his/her belly to his/her knees. Those two properties make it vastly easier to get up onto, but it's also a lot less maneuverable once you're on it. The kids don't usually care about that, however, meaning whenever I go double with someone, I'm on the yellow board. And I think I can now safely say that I have mastered it! Pulling myself up to my knees without having any 'help' from a hook, moving in and out of the wake, moving fast, zigzagging to splash my companions in the face, going one-handed and high-fiving the kid alongside me - I can do it all, and boy, is it fun. (And boy, are my arms sore!)

Of course, I still haven't managed to stand up on waterskis or a wakeboard. Nor have I yet attempted a 360 on the kneeboard. But we can ignore those facts.

3.) I've been assigned to go on the Boston trip on Saturday, meaning we leave at 6:50am to take the kids on the 3-hour drive to Logan Airport, wait until they're all where they need to be, then go back for the staff party. This is a good thing, despite the early wakeup, because I get to miss the six-hour cleanup that everyone else will be doing. The only fly in the ointment is that my partner is Jesse, my dodgeball-face-smasher - which would be perfectly fine except that I believe he's planning on getting up to something nefarious in the course of the journey, because of the following conversation:

"Hey Jess, how old are you?"
"22. Why, you want to split the driving?"
(secretive smile) "No, no. You'll see."

Um... okay? Geez, Jesse, the staff party starts as soon as we get back to camp - you can drink then!

4.) Important: the Internet has officially been shut down in the dorms, meaning I no longer have 24/7 e-mail access. If you write to me and don't get an answer as quickly as you may have anticipated, well, it's not my fault.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger