:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

donderdag 10 augustus 2006

This will probably be my last post from the woods of Maine - next time the Internet hears from me, I'll be back home in sunny Florida!

I've been undergoing a slight crisis for the past 24 hours - to make a long story short, word came through that my boater would not be able to accompany me on Saturday. I knew his boat had been damaged in a freak thunderstorm a couple of weeks ago, but he hadn't seemed too concerned about the timetable to get it fixed, so I didn't worry about it either. Then it turned out that a specific part was on back-order and despite attempts to (a) get it from another manufacturer and (b) have the original part patched up by a welder, nothing worked out. While in limbo, knowing my usual luck (or lack thereof) in situations of this type, I posted another Craigslist ad and, wonder of wonders, found another (equally as good if not better) boater. The only hitch is that he's going to demand more than the $100 that Joe and I had agreed on - so I'm sitting here waiting for his email to come through and tell me how much more.

Camp Laurel is still going fine. My 'office work' consists mostly of printing camper e-mails and sorting lost-and-found items. I refuse to answer the phone unless under duress, mostly because I don't know any child, any schedule, any procedure, or anything about the way things are run here, and would not be able to assist any caller in any way. However, the office rule is that "we never let the phone ring twice", so if the unthinkable should happen and everyone but me is already on another line and the phone rings again, I'll have to pounce, answer, "Good evening, Camp Laurel, this is Jess," hear them out, then just say, "One moment, please," and put them on hold for as long as it takes for someone else to get off the phone and give me a hand. However, it's now 18:05 on my last day of work, so I'm only here for another 4 hours, and if that situation hasn't occurred in the past 41 hours of work, it's unlikely that it'll happen in the last 4.

I've done three training swims in the lake here - one mile, two miles, and one mile - and they've all gone well despite less-than-stellar conditions (have I mentioned lately how much I hate wind?). I think my body is going to hold up fine over the 8 miles despite my, ahem, lack of extensive swim-specific training this summer - the only thing I'm a little concerned about is the cold water. The online buoy readings have been hovering between 65 and 68 degrees, which is fine, but it's going to be a little colder than that at the start because it's further out to sea. Ah, well - nothing I can do about that at this point. Although those five or so pounds I've gained this summer might come in handy, both as insulation and fuel. (See? There's always an excuse!)

Oh, and as a random aside: that babysitting gig I have lined up in Chapel Hill is now going to be two mornings a week instead of one, so it looks like I'll have a nice steady stream of grocery-and-gas income - hurrah!

Tomorrow I leave camp and drive to Boston to meet up with Robin and her daughter Lillianna at a shopping mall. We're going to have lunch and shop for a few hours; then I'll head over to the yacht club for the prerace dinner and meeting, then back to Robin's apartment for the night. Then it's up at 'o-dark-thirty' and back to the yacht club for the start of the race... and once the race is over, I'll be on my way HOME!!!

Guess that's all for now. Someone just brought in a chocolate cake-looking thing they baked with, believe it or not, zucchini - and I can't resist checking it out.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger