:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zaterdag 22 juli 2006

The second session of kids left today, and I have proceeded to:

6:30: Wake up at 6:30, exhausted and bleary-eyed.
7:00: Eat a huge breakfast of cereal, hash browns, strawberries, and coffee cake.
7:45: Kill time, sitting around with the (even more) impatient kids until 9:00.
9:05: Get into my newly repaired car (which I picked up only yesterday), to find that the AC is, once again, not working.
9:07: Curse, rage, and storm at the world, especially VW service techs from Maine who don't have enough experience with air conditioning.
9:08: Decide to have my day off anyway, and drive to Freeport.
10:05: On a tip, visit the Wilson's Leather outlet.
10:30: Perk up when I find - and buy - a $300 leather jacket for $50.
10:45 Hang jacket in my car, hoping the scent will perfume the interior.
10:55: Buy a Ben & Jerry's ice cream cone, half Phish Food and half Turtle Soup, for lunch.
11:00 Wander into and out of shops, browsing and eating my ice cream.
11:40: Get into the car to leave Freeport.
11:41: Discover that my AC is working. Rejoice.
11:42: Drive to Target in Topsham.
12:00: Stock up on granola bars, fruit snacks, razor blades, and dark chocolate.
12:10: Find, try on, and add to my basket a shirt I'd looked for in Jacksonville and failed to find. Rejoice again.
12:15: Grab A Million Little Pieces, since the first 90 pages of another counselor's copy have gotten me hooked. (So what if parts of it are made up? It's still great reading.)
12:20: Sit on the floor in the book section and have an almost-hour-long conversation with Mom about money, loans, old people, and other similarly gripping topics.
13:15: See the movie Hook for $9 and impulsively decide to buy it.
13:20: Check out.
13:21: Get some (but not enough) cash back for the Boston boat pilot.
13:23: Get into my car.
13:24: Discover that the AC is now, once again, not working.
13:25: Groan, roll eyes, then turn on music and drive to VW dealership.
13:54: Arrive at VW dealership only to discover that Billy ('my' employee) is not there.
13:55: Attempt to explain the situation to the man behind the desk, stressing the fact that $750 and two weeks is more than enough to spend on repairing an air conditioner.
13:58: Achieve a 'probably' as to whether or not a free repair can be gotten. Rejoice (cautiously).
14:00: Am told to call back on Monday, after he has spoken to the tech.
14:01: Get back into my car - AC still not working - and drive back to camp with a headache, planning to go to sleep.
14:29: Arrive at camp.
14:30: Decide to break the rules for once and just park behind my dorm, rather than a quarter-mile away at Alfond.
14:36: Fall into bed and sleep for three hours.
17:45: Wake up to the sound of a storm outside my window.
17:47: Realize I'm hungry.
18:00: Get back into the car - once again, no AC - and drive to Panera in the pouring rain.
18:30: Arrive at Panera and sprint through the rain to the door.
18:40: Get my Greek salad and Frontega Chicken panini.
18:41: Spot two more Powerbook users in the corner, and head over to join them.
18:42: Am asked whether I have ever connected here before, and if I know why they can't seem to get online.
18:43: Boot up my own computer.
18:44: Realize that they're doing everything right - the wireless Internet is just not working.
18:45: Internally curse, rage, and storm at the world some more. Try a few different computer things, to no avail.
18:50: Ask two different employees why we can't connect, and are told that everything is working as far as they can see, and that it's probably due to the storm.
18:52: Mutter some more curses and proceed to eat my food, plus a cookie.
19:15: Start typing this post in Word, for lack of other options.
19:51: Try Firefox one last time before shutting down computer.
19:53: Realize the Internet is now working. Rejoice.
19:57: Hurriedly post what I've written before it makes like a VW air conditioning and blows. (In the figurative sense, mind... only the figurative sense.)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger