:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 5 juni 2006

Well, we're back from Georgia. It wasn't the best trip we've ever had, as far as mini-vacations go - the hotel had only wired (no wireless) Internet (after making it sound like they did), the gym's AC was broken (rendering it unusable), and we (of course) ate only restaurant food for all three meals of the day. Also, I wasn't able to exercise - I'm not yet allowed to run (stupid foot), the gym was, as I've said, unusable, and the hotel pool was all of maybe twenty feet long and four feet deep. So I haven't had any exercise whatsoever since Tuesday's swim practice - and the Key West swim is this weekend. So I missed a pretty critical training window. I'm sure I'll still finish the swim and be fine, but I didn't get to lead up to it the way I wanted to - which would have been tough workouts (swimming, cycling, weight lifting) every day until the Sunday morning beach swim and then starting to taper. Oh, well. I leave for Coral Springs (where I'm spending the night at Monique's house) on Thursday and then for Key West the next morning. The swim starts at 6am on Saturday and I'm spending Saturday night on the island as well, so we'll be done by 1pm or so and then I'll have the whole afternoon and evening to explore and do some of the things I didn't get to do last time (take my picture at the Southernmost Point, see the Hemingway House, etc.) And hey, I'm staying in a hostel, so who knows, there might even be some nice people to hang out with. I remember how lonely I was last year on the second night, after Christine (my kayaker) left - I sat in the hotel room alone, SMSing everyone I knew, looking for some human contact.

Oh, but I'm making progress on the "foot front", finally. I can now walk normally (meaning the heel strikes the ground first, then a gradual roll forward onto the toes), which is something I haven't been able to do for a very long time. I'm not entirely pain-free yet, but I'm definitely moving in that direction. Monique and I signed up for the Disney half marathon last night - that's how confident I'm feeling. (The race isn't until January, though, so that gives me plenty of time to recover.) My plan is to keep babying the heel until camp, then see how that extra activity level (lots of walking around, wearing flip-flops on the dock all day, etc.) feels. If that seems to be okay, and I'm no longer having any pain in the mornings, then I think I'll start getting up before the kids a few mornings a week and going for walk-runs to see how it feels and get back into "running shape". This is going to sound awfully cancer-patient-ish of me, but I have dreams where I'm running and it doesn't hurt, where I'm thinking, "I'm not supposed to be doing this, am I?" but then "But it feels so good!" and I keep on going. I'll get back there one of these days.

In other news, the kittens are gone; the mother apparently got nervous and moved them. Actually, we think the reason we didn't find them until they were five weeks old is because they weren't behind our shed until very recently; she's probably been moving them every few days ever since they were born, and our backyard was just one of the stops. Anyway, we're sad that they're gone because now they have no chance of going to good homes - they're just going to grow up to be feral like their mother and birth litter after litter of similarly wild kittens into the neighborhood. Sigh.

Oh, and my friend Lisa from high school had a "Graduation Open House" party yesterday, which I thought was just a sort of 'reunion' party for all the Stanton folks. Wrong. Erin called me an hour or so before I left, asking, "Are you getting Lisa anything?"
"Why would I get her anything?" I asked blankly.
"Uh - 'cause she graduated?" Erin replied.
"I graduated too, and none of you guys got me any presents - why should I get her anything?" I retorted, half-joking, half-serious.
I showed up empty-handed. Erin brought a card and chocolates. Thinh brought a card. Chris, like myself, brought nothing. And... that was it for the Stanton contingent. The rest of the partygoers were Lisa's family members and church friends - meaning she got plenty of envelopes handed to her over the course of the afternoon. I'm sure mine was neither expected nor missed. We had a good time, though - the food was wonderful (and plentiful) and the five of us got to catch up with each other, as well as (by extension) other 2002 class members whose gossip (engagements, pregnancies, other scandals) was carried in on the tongues of the five of us. It was a nice afternoon.

Guess that's all for now. I have to go deposit a graduation check (which is not from Lisa or any other member of my high school graduating class... LOL), take my car to Costco and get the tires rotated, balanced, and possibly replaced (one of them is looking really awful), and then find a place to swim. I don't really want to go to the pool at Cecil Field because the lifeguards take 10-minute breaks every hour and make you get out of the pool, but that's the only pool I know of that's free. Ah, well, you take what you can get.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger