:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zaterdag 24 juni 2006

So the kids arrive tomorrow, and we've spent most of the day discussing all the worst-case scenarios: eating disorders, homesickness, body image issues, etc. One thing I've never had to deal with before (being at an all-girls camp) is the possibility of boys and girls sneaking off together. There have apparently been several issues - a potential orgy busted up by eavesdropping counselors, kids who pack condoms in their bags or bring alcohol in their shampoo bottles, et cetera. Up until this point, I've been thinking that All-Star is run a lot better than Ton-A-Wandah, but then I hear about things like that - which never happened there - and start wondering. I know that most of this stuff never surfaces, that campwide there will probably only be three or four major issues all summer, but it's still sort of depressing to have all this negative stuff thrown at us all week long.

I have to come back to the camp food: it's amazing. At Ton-A-Wandah, the food was served "family style" - two different cabins set the tables each day, and what was on the table was what you ate. If you didn't like it, you could go get a PBJ from the kitchen window. That was it. I walked into the All-Star kitchen on the first morning, and saw plain scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage, and bacon. How nice that they have the option of cheese on the eggs, I thought while serving myself. Then I turned around to go grab a drink... and saw more tables and counters, laden with fruit, bagels, various breads and spreads, a toaster, a waffle maker, muffins, and assorted pastries. My jaw dropped. You have GOT to be kidding me!

And it's like that at every meal - variety galore, and good stuff, too, like turkey melts, ravioli, enchiladas, and veggie burgers. Plus dessert at every meal, and often more than one dessert - brownies, Rice Krispie treats, or lemon meringue squares. It's unbelievable. And almost everything is homemade - the kitchen staff often add their own little touches, like Butterfinger pieces in the brownies. And there's a deli bar with cold cuts, and also a big salad bar, complete with spinach leaves, feta cheese, olives, bacon bits, and various other toppings. I'm extremely impressed by it all.

Which is why I was so surprised today when people started complaining about the food. I'd heard various complaints - "Oh, I can't eat this stuff; it makes me sick." "This food is pretty gross." "Looks like I'm having salad again!" But I didn't pay much attention to it; just dismissed it as spoiled rich girls. But this afternoon we were sitting in a meeting with Craig, the director, and one brave male counselor raised his hand and mentioned that some of the counselors were having issues with the food. "We feel hungry, but then we go in there and smell it and just can't force anything down - or if we do get it down, then it... well... goes right through you." Heads were nodding in agreement. I was disbelieving.
"I'll discuss it with Vago [the cook] later today," Craig said. "How many people are experiencing these issues?" Half the hands in the room went up.
"No way!" I exclaimed involuntarily.
"Well! I'll get Vago in here right now!" Craig said in surprise, striding toward the door.
The poor plump cook - who always has a smile and cheerful comment for me, who encourages us to take multiple desserts, and whose ten-week-old daughter Katya is the cutest thing alive - was dragged into the room, and people were asked to repeat their grievances to him. "It's making us feel sick." "It's just not the quality it used to be." "Last year there was more variety." My jaw dropped at that last one. Vago fielded everything very politely and diplomatically, never losing his smile, but I felt so sorry for him that I had the beginnings of tears in my eyes. This poor man is so kind and cheerful, works so hard and makes what I consider to be such wonderful food, so many different things every day - and this is how we repay him?

After the rest of the staff had finished voicing their complaints, I couldn't take it anymore. I raised my hand and smiled at Vago. "I just wanted to let you know that it's my first year at this camp, and I think the food is amazing - it's way better than what I'm used to at other camps - and I just wanted to say that I really appreciate all the effort you guys go to to make it."

Vago thanked me, but nobody else agreed. I saw no nods, heard no murmurs of assent. "We appreciate the positive along with the rest of it," Craig said briskly, then moved on. All I could do was shake my head and sigh. I am the only one in this entire camp who will freely admit that I love the food and think it's amazing. Am I crazy, or do the rest of the staff just have expensive tastes and delicate digestive systems? I don't understand it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Maybe Vago should provide a little Danactive for the delicate digestive systems he is cooking for this summer. The whole thing is baffling to me and I applaud you for speaking up.

25/6/06 13:55  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

I dont see why people have to complain about the food, there are so many choices thats riduclous. Those cooks work very very hard at what they do and they do a good job! I agree with you and I'm glad you stood up and spoke your opinion!

25/6/06 18:13  
Anonymous Anoniem said...

i forgot to leave my name!!!
Marie

25/6/06 18:13  

Een reactie posten

<< Home

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger