:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 3 mei 2006

Sooo, I'm back in Gainesville for a couple of days - my last couple of days. I had my French final this evening (easy A) and will have to take my Latin final (difficult) at ten tomorrow morning, but after that I am well and truly done with this school. Well, except for that loooong walk across the stage on Saturday. But I'm 'done enough' that I felt only slightly awkward going ahead and putting my Alumni license plate frame on my car. :)

Anyway, I've had a nice, relaxing few days. I went to the Ichetucknee with some swim teammates, hung out with my sister, swam with my Jacksonville Masters team, got hooked up with my two-week free YMCA membership, visited the Apple store (twice), sent out my graduation announcements, downloaded The Chronicles of Narnia (good movie), read a new Jodi Picoult book, got my hair cut, persuaded my sister to get her hair cut (just above shoulder-length), built the temporary Club Alligator website, paid my Key West entry fee, re-watched The Interpreter and Wimbledon, and - dare I say it - got to sleep in a few times. The only thing that was somewhat work-like was my online French assignments (the usual 50-some-odd exercises - 56, in this case) which were due today. I did the 27 written assignments more or less properly, but then I had to knock off the last 39 (all listening and video) exercises this morning, so I just typed pure gibberish. And I mean literal gibberish, banging haphazardly on the keys - she only checks to see if there's a cute little check mark next to the assignment, not what we actually typed. And even if she does, it's only a portion of the 'homework' 10% of our grade, which includes all 5 other online chapters as well as allllll the written homework we've had to turn in this semester... so I can't see it hurting me too badly, either way.

Anyway, so tomorrow I have to take my Latin final and then take care of some 'business' - selling back my books, picking up my honor cords, and getting the complimentary 'cap and gown photo' taken. I have nothing to do tomorrow afternoon or all day Friday, so it's probably going to be spent swimming, lifting weights in Southwest Rec, eating the rest of my food (some of which Monique already, er, helped me out with) and - of course - playing on the computer.

Speaking of computers, I broached the subject with Dad about my wanting a Mac and he got really upset with me. Apparently he had a recent bad experience with a colleague's Mac and now insists I shouldn't get one because of compatibility issues. ("98% of the computing world uses Windows!") But the thing is, unless the Mac site is out-and-out lying, their new, Intel-chip-equipped Macs have almost no issues with compatibility. They can't write to PC-formatted external drives yet, true, but they can read them, and (as we've already established) they come with the entire iLife suite, which includes Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint as well as all the specialty programs for video editing, photo organizing, etc. The only thing I'd be lacking is Photoshop, and I don't mind buying one extra program. I think what Dad isn't grasping is that he is a professional video director, while I am a college student. Our needs are in no way the same. He needs complicated programs, lots of external equipment, and office/colleague computers that work the same way as his own. I, on the other hand, am the only one who ever uses my computer, and I use it almost exclusively for e-mail, Internet browsing, Word documents, music and movie playback, and photo organization. I do the occasional bit of graphic design for a webpage, and use the occasional Excel file for a chart, but on the whole, all I really need is a browser, Office suite, and media player - which means I can come down on either side of the fence and have my needs met. And since the Macs seem better-organized and more user-friendly, without as many potential points of confusion as my PC, that's the direction I'm leaning in. (And, yeah, I gotta admit - the interface is pretty gorgeous, too.)

And that 13" widescreen MacBook? Will be out within this month. I should know by that point if that's the model I need to go with or if there'll be a smaller one coming next quarter (back-to-school quarter). We'll see. But anyway, if anybody wants to share their PC-versus-Mac experiences in comments, go right ahead. Maybe there's something I'm missing.

Anyway, I suppose I should really be studying for Latin right now, seeing as I have an exam in less than 10 hours and I have looked at absolutely no material since, um, our quiz last Wednesday.

But first, a shower.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Jess! Congrats with being done with college! I wish you good luck to the future and hope you have a good summer!
Marie

4/5/06 09:47  
Blogger DrJDG said...

Hey Jess,

Congrats on graduating, and hang tough with Dad. "98%" of the computing world does NOT use Windoze. Mac OS X and Unix/Linux take up at least 10-15% of users out there. My uncle-in-law is also a professional video editor type (4 emmys, video production with Gloria Estafan and Jimmy Buffett). He says the "incompatibility" issue with pro video is that Apple's pro video editing software (Final Cut) is very QuickTime dependant ... and the Windoze side of the industry prefers uncompressed raw format. But you're right ... for you there is no real compatibility issue. Hell, with an Intel Mac, you can partition the HD and boot in either Windoze or OS X. How much more compatible do people want? Plus, if the majority likes or believes something, it's probably wrong ... :-)

Congrats again and I'll tip one in your honor on Saturday.

Take care,
Jules

5/5/06 00:30  

Een reactie posten

<< Home

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger