:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zondag 16 april 2006

Happy Easter! (Or, as my dad has been answering the phone all morning, 'Hoppy' Easter!) No basket this year, but I did get a big chocolate bunny and Hallmark card from Dad... okay, all together now... 'Awww.'

Anyway, Family Easter Get-Together #1 (with Mom's side of the family) was yesterday, and it wasn't as excruciating as it could have been, but it was definitely a case of the 7 mentally capable attendees (my parents, my aunt and uncle, my grandfather, my cousin Nathaniel, and me) sort of 'strategizing' against the two less capable (my grandmother and my uncle's father, both with some form of Alzheimer's and/or dementia). But between Dad's recently acquired Victrola, our home video of Catie performing in the FSU circus, and the food (pork tenderloin, baked potatoes, asparagus, bean salad, garlic bread, and strawberry pie), we managed to keep everybody happy.

Family Easter Get-Together #2 (with Dad's side of the family) is today - in a matter of hours, actually - which should be more enjoyable. My one diehard Southern Baptist aunt will probably be offset by my passle of cousins, including Megan (13) and Michael (10), my fellow swimmers, and by baby Logan, the son of my cousin Shayla.

In other news, I signed up for my classes at Chapel Hill - syntax (required for degree), phonetics (required for degree), a survey of Mayan languages (degree elective), and Elementary Persian (my own choice, which gives me no grad credit whatsoever but which will probably help me get in the door at NSA). I have three classes on Monday and Wednesday and just one on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday - and, the best part - my earliest class is at 11:00. Gotta love that, after getting up at 8 every morning for the past semester. I'm not much for sleeping in, usually, but I like doing all my computer stuff in the mornings (gives everybody else the rest of the day to get back to me) and I also like exercising in the mornings (gets it out of the way for the rest of the day). So yes, I think this is going to work out juuuuust fine. :)

Still perusing the laptop world for my next investment. At last count, I had five possibilities; I've now narrowed that down to three: the Sony SZ, the Dell Inspiron, and the Apple 12" Powerbook. I gave up on the other two because although they were smaller and lighter and had better battery life than these three, they were also considerably more expensive, with slower processors and smaller hard drives. I have to strike a balance: as small and light as I can possibly get, without entirely sacrificing the few essential creature comforts of a desktop replacement.

Also, Mom and Dad have amended their offer: the new deal is, I get a gift of $3000 to do with as I like - meaning, the laptop comes out of that. (Meaning, too, that I can get the Mac if I decide that's what I want. Dad, a PC man through and through, had originally put the kibosh on that idea.) Anyway, the version of the Sony TX that I wanted was $2999, which is part of the reason I dumped it. I want a good laptop, but I'd also like to have a little money left over for other stuff, like a case (and, once they come out with an appropriate capacity for my needs, an iPod nano...)

Anyway, guess that's about all I have for you today, except...

06 days till the Tampa Bay swim,
10 days till school is out, and
20 days till graduation!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger