:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 10 april 2006

For the first time since I can recall, I have no homework whatsoever. We've been watching a movie in Wolof for the past two days, and we had a substitute in French, so nothing in either of those classes, and since I had a Latin exam today that teacher didn't have a chance to dump any translations on us either. In weight training, Josh says my Tampa Bay swim counts as an absence makeup (LOL), and we're doing presentations in Spanish, so nothing there either. Woohoo!

Unfortunately, however, I have just as much non-school stuff to accomplish these days as school stuff, and maybe more. At the top of my list: finding a place to live in Chapel Hill. I'm in contact with one complex, townhouses with 6 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms apiece, but it's not furnished and utilities aren't included. I really prefer the electricity, water, cable, Internet, and everything else be already included, and I'd definitely prefer not to have to drag thrift-store furniture all over the southeast over the course of the next two years, so I'm still looking. The other problem is that most of the places up there don't seem to do individual leases, and since I don't know anybody up there (yet) that I could rent a place with, that's a problem. I've found one group, Mill House Properties, which has four good-looking complexes, but so far nobody's answered my email or phone message. If no one responds within the week, I'll probably end up going with the first option, because I've certainly had enough experience already with complexes that don't answer email or phone calls. (*cough*LaMancha*cough*)

Anyway, aside from finding a place to live, I also have to go to Target and buy all the stuff I'm going to need for my Tampa swim, which is a week from Saturday. I need:

- seasickness pills (for me as well as for Anna - people don't realize you can get seasick while swimming, but trust me, after the first six hours or so, you most definitely can!)
- zinc oxide (that thick white stuff that you used to see ocean lifeguards put on their noses - regular sunscreen won't stand a chance during a 12-hour swim.)
- PowerGel or Gu packs (that carbohydrate gel stuff... I didn't use it in Key West, but think it will really help in Tampa.)
- if I can find it, Maxim (a tasteless carb powder to mix with drinks... all the Channel swimmers use it. I don't expect to find it at Target, but I'll look.)
- Fig Newtons (for some reason, these go down pretty well while swimming - everybody has their own food preferences, ranging from Snickers bars to soup, but this is the only solid food I've found so far that doesn't make me want to gag.)
- mouthwash (rinsing with it every hour or so stops the salt water from shriveling up your tongue like an old sponge. I didn't have this in Key West and was extremely sorry.)

I already have ibuprofen (for eventual shoulder pain), Vaseline (for greasing my neck and under my straps - otherwise, the salt water lets you chafe right down to the blood in no time), extra caps, two pairs of goggles (tinted and clear), a heating pad (because I bet I'll want it later), Bullfrog sunscreen (for my face), and a skinny-strap Lycra suit (I can't wear my usual Endurance one for a long open-water swim because of the stiffer material on the straps). We'll see in two weeks what I forgot... because, trust me, there will be something.

One last thing: we had a bench press contest in weight training today - guys pressed 40 pounds, girls 30 - and we had to see who could do the most in 3 minutes. I came in third with 73 reps - only 13 behind the winner - not too shabby! But the two girls who beat me both went after me, so they knew what they had to beat; that makes it easier, in my opinion. Otherwise I might have been able to do more. Oh, well, it was fun to shake things up for a change.

Guess I'll head off to Target now.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger