:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 29 maart 2006

Chapel Hill's Spanish department is apparently considering me for a TAship; they're trying to set up a phone interview to make sure I "have the necessary proficiency level to teach". Problem is, (a) my credentials on paper look a whole lot spiffier than my true skills, since I haven't had any hard-core Spanish since freshman year and have forgotten a lot, and (b) I don't really want to teach Spanish. On the other hand, I'm truly, genuinely, honestly eager for the opportunity to teach Dutch, while the Germanic department hasn't made a peep to me. Amazingly, they do offer Dutch; I saw it on the website, so that's half the battle, and I've sent three e-mails to three different people - including the professor who apparently teaches the course(s) - so we'll see what they say. I can't imagine they get too many people wanting that position - in contrast to Spanish, which I doubt has any shortage of takers - so that might work in my favor. I didn't completely close the door on the Spanish, but I did send the woman an e-mail back saying (a) that my proficiency is not what it used to be, (b) that I'd prefer to be an assistant to a full professor rather than teach on my own, and (c) that I doubted I could 'beat out' any applicants who continued their Spanish through all four years of college, but (d) that I was still more than happy to talk to her and here was my number, yadda yadda yadda. So we'll see what happens. TAships, among other things, chop out-of-state tuition rates down to in-state levels, so that would be a great perk.

Continuing in the Chapel Hill vein, Mom and I are going to visit it on Monday. We're driving up on Sunday afternoon, staying with my aunt, visiting the campus Monday, driving back to my aunt's, and then coming home on Tuesday. That means tonight is my last night of swimming for an entire WEEK at what is pretty much the worst possible time for me to miss training (since (a) we have a meet three days after I get back, and (b) my Tampa Bay taper starts on the 15th and I need to train as much/hard as possible before then), but on the other hand, my shoulders are kind of messed up from the pec deck (machine in the weight room) and this might be a good opportunity for me to let them fully heal.

In other news from the World of Jess:

(1) my lifeguarding recertification starts tomorrow,
(2) I'm doing my Spanish presentation on the Netherlands,
(3) Brown hasn't given me a decision yet, which I find odd, and
(4) the frozen yogurt addiction has been kicked - my new drug of choice is Cheez-Its.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger