:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

dinsdag 28 februari 2006

So I'm pretty much hating life right now. Because I, who have not been sick for an entire year (ever since I started drinking DanActive), spent the weekend feverish, shivering, nauseous, and headachy. Now that the flu- and meningitis-like symptoms have settled into something a bit less debilitating (I must admit, the weekend timing made my life a lot easier with regards to making up homework), I now conveniently have no voice. All that comes out is a hoarse, croaky half-whisper, like a bad case of Teenage Boy Voice Cracking crossed with a Frog Playing A Pipe Organ. Not to mention, it hurts. This means I have effectively been rendered quite mute, a fact which many would have to see (hear) to believe.

Also, the foot pain is back full force, after giving me a two-day reprieve over the weekend. I suppose the fact that I didn't have to walk more than ten steps at a stretch for 48 hours did some good. However, I effectively erased all that good when I went to weight training class yesterday and was told to find my one-repetition maximum on the leg press. (155 plus the not-inconsiderable weight of the carriage - 145 pounds heavier than my workout partner's max, LOL!) So I'm forced to resign myself to the fact that the River Run is all but out the window. Monique will still come home with me next Friday, we'll pick up our race packets, have a sleepover, and get up early to go to the fairgrounds... but the difference is, she'll be running; I won't.

I know exactly what's going to happen. The foot is going to improve, slowly, little by little, but hold off just enough so that I can't compete. On Saturday, the day of the race, it will feel so good that I'll think, "Almost. Really, I almost could have done it." And then on Monday, when I finally have my doctor's appointment... the pain will be gone. You mark my words.

Can you tell I'm a little frustrated?

To change the subject, I just filled my birthday into an online form which told me I am:

67 years 3 months younger than Walter Cronkite, age 89
62 years 7 months younger than Nancy Reagan, age 84
59 years 8 months younger than George Herbert Bush, age 81
52 years 4 months younger than Barbara Walters, age 74
50 years 2 months younger than Larry King, age 72
44 years 0 months younger than Ted Koppel, age 66
40 years 7 months younger than Geraldo Rivera, age 62
37 years 7 months younger
(and wiser!) than George W. Bush, age 59
32 years 6 months younger than Jesse Ventura, age 54
28 years 3 months younger than Bill Gates, age 50
23 years 5 months younger than Cal Ripken Jr., age 45
17 years 7 months younger than Mike Tyson, age 39
13 years 6 months younger than Jennifer Lopez, age 35
08 years 1 month younger than Tiger Woods, age 30
01 years 7 months younger than Prince William, age 23

and that I was:

17 years old at the time of the 9-11 attack on America.
(I was taking a bio exam during senior year of high school... didn't find out until I walked into calculus class second period.)
15 years old on the first day of Y2K.
(Yeah, I guess I sort of remember everybody worrying about something that was supposedly going to happen to all the computers, but I wouldn't have my own machine for another month, so I didn't really take much notice.)
13 years old when Princess Diana was killed in a car crash.
(I definitely remember this, because for some reason I took it very hard - played Elton John's song over and over - even though I don't think I'd even known Princess Diana existed before the accident.)
11 years old at the time of Oklahoma City bombing.
(This, I do not remember. There's no excuse for me, I know.)
10 years old when O. J. Simpson was charged with murder.
(I have exactly one memory of this trial, which is of my science teacher sneaking a TV into our classroom and desperately trying to work through the static and get a clear picture - after we'd been expressly forbidden by the principal to watch the verdict - and the classroom exploding in screams at the words "Not Guilty!")
9 years old at the time of the 93 bombing of the World Trade Center.
(I don't remember this at all, but I guess a nine-year-old can't really be expected to take that much notice of world events.)
6 years old when Operation Desert Storm began.
(Ditto the above.)
5 years old during the fall of the Berlin Wall.
(Ditto the above.)
1 year old when the space shuttle Challenger exploded.
(Obviously, I don't remember this from when it actually happened, but I got really into space when I was 11 or 12 and started collecting articles and memorabilia about the whole space program, including Challenger. There was a "10 Years After Challenger" article in the paper that I saved; that kind of started it.)

Anything to pass the time.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger