:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 16 januari 2006

Judging by the date of last semester's disbursements, National Merit will probably be dropped into my lap this coming Friday. Unfortunately, I will probably be in Ohio (swim meet) with no Internet access, but what the hey.

Cox Internet (and cable) should be dropped into my lap this coming Wednesday. Apparently we have a filter on our cable line, thus impeding the stream of tiny Internet particles. (I found this out only after making my poor father stay up until 2:00 in the morning with the online tech support, reading me her responses over the phone.) Anyhow, the problem should be resolved in about 48 hours. Knock on wood.

I should hear about the La Mancha deposit tomorrow. The woman in the office warned me that she'll most likely have to take a fee out, since an apartment was held open for me, but even so, it won't be the whole deposit, which makes me happy.

Classes are still going about the same as they were at my last update. Wolof is cool (Na nga def? Naka nga tudd?), Latin is moving slowly (festina lente!) but is nicely systematic, Spanish and weight training are really good, and French is Incredibly. Effing. Slow. I'm realizing that my biggest problem with the teacher is really that she's so determined to do everything 'in order' and 'by the book' that she doesn't take advantage of the 'natural' learning opportunities that surface via students' questions. She just gives a yes or no answer and then says something like, "but we're not there yet" or "but that's still a few chapters away." Sigh.

Swimming, on the other hand, is going well. I'm definitely not going to meet my 22k yardage goal this week because we're off school today for MLK day, the O-Dome is closed Wednesday, and the team is going to Ohio this weekend, so we're going to miss Friday and possibly Thursday night too. That means, um, one day of swimming. Oh well. I can run on the other days - I need to start training for the River Run anyway.

I'm going to a 'Dutch luncheon' this afternoon at Chipotle Grill, with all (or many) of the UF Dutch speakers, so we'll see how that goes.

If you don't hear from me on Wednesday night or Thursday, don't count on an update until next Monday. Ohio's a long way to drive.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger