:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 7 december 2005

Well, it went all right. They asked exactly ONE of the questions that I'd prepared for - about my future plans - but it went okay nonetheless. I got hung up on the questions about 'what would you tell someone else coming to study here', but it wasn't because of my Spanish; it was because I simply couldn't think of anything except 'keep an open mind', even in English. I mean, what do you advise someone coming to Holland? You can tell them all kinds of things ABOUT the country, sure, but country-specific advice? No effing clue.

And then they found out about the English Channel and my Key West swim and that was all they wanted to talk about, which was nice on one hand, since it was stuff I knew about, and bad on the other, since I hadn't really prepared any vocabulary for it. But I only slipped into Dutch twice, once when I used Spanish words in Dutch word order (and started laughing and said, 'Estoy usando la orden del Holandes!') and once when I stopped monitoring myself and started speaking a little faster and ended up saying 'na' for 'after' (which Peter immediately called me on, upon which I clapped my hand over my mouth and blurted 'despues de!' and kept going).

The bottom line is that I think I spoke pretty fluently overall and was able to circumlocute when I didn't know something, but I did make a few dumb mistakes, like forgetting the 'me' in front of 'duelen' (to hurt) when I was talking about my Key West shoulders, and having a mental block and only being able to think of the Dutch word for 'older' and so having to backtrack and flip my comment around and use 'younger' instead. ('Mayor', damn it, 'mayor'! Duh!)

Anyway, I know they were testing us to see if we'd mastered all the tenses, and I know I used present, gerund, present perfect, both past tenses, and the conditional once or twice, but I also know that I did NOT use the imperfect subjunctive even once, nor the past perfect, simply because I didn't need them. I had decided to not think analytically about it and just to use whatever tense I felt was appropriate for the question, rather than 'forcing' weird tenses into the mix, but I'm still a bit unsure about how they saw my performance (especially about my preterite versus imperfect stuff, which I never used to have problems with but which I for some reason mix up nowadays).

Anyway, I'll shut up now, but this was thirty percent of my final grade, which is why I'm stressing. I'm guessing I got somewhere around a 25 out of 30 points, but considering we have a couple of really poor speakers to lower the curve, it could be higher - in which case I would be ecstatic. I guess I'll find out on Friday.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger