:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 19 december 2005

For some reason, everything and everybody is pissing me off right now.

(1) The old fat people swimming head-up breaststroke at the Krommerijn always seem to feel the need to drift into MY lane. There are no lane lines, so we can't really circle-swim, meaning we have to just sort of dodge around each other. I always make a point of blowing past them fast, so they'll get out of my way and I don't have to keep watching out for them. Usually they do, eventually, but it's annoying. I'm usually one of, oh, maybe three people in the pool actually doing a visible workout... can't you go swim with your agemates and leave those of us who are actually training alone?

(2) I'm sitting in the academic building, and in spite of the sign which says QUIET AREA - NO PHONES, there is still a girl jabbering away in Spanish at top volume on her cell phone.

(3) Another (American) girl, next to her, just said something to her (American) friends like, "You know, those baby cells, like, stem cells, that turn into the other cells in your body? Well, they can turn into anything, right, and so there was this guy the other day I heard about who had, like, teeth and hair in his stomach."

"Eeeewww!" her friends squealed.

I turned around and said, "Sorry, but as far as I know, stem cells don't actually work like that. If he had teeth and hair in his stomach, it could have been his twin brother who died before birth or something, but it couldn't be his own stem cells that did it."

She shrugged and turned away from me without answering, and when one of her friends asked how she'd heard about the guy, she said smugly, "My boyfriend's a doctor."

"That sounded so cool!" her friend shrieked, "'My boyfriend's a doctor'..."

Cue much hysterical laughter and ignoring of me. Sigh. Have I mentioned that I hate always being surrounded by 18-year-olds?

(4) Miss My-Boyfriend's-A-Doctor is now also on the phone. Also loudly. Joy.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anoniem said...

Does the phrase "don't confuse me with facts" ring a bell in that stem cell conversation? If her boyfriend the doctor told her, it must be so. If she read it in National Enquirer, it must be so. If some girl she never met corrects her in front of her friends? On to the next subject and don't confuse her with facts.
Not always wonderful to be the smartest person in the room?

19/12/05 08:45  
Blogger Hedwig said...

Hehe, it was actually probably a sarcoma, it's a kind of cancer in which something anomalous is formed. Including teeth in stomachs and all that. I don't quite know if stem cells are involved, I'm not really into bio (today I had my probably last-ever bio class! Yay!).

20/12/05 08:01  
Blogger Robin said...

I bet her boyfriend isn't really a doctor. He might just play one on t.v. Either that or he is just playing doctor with her OR he's a big fat liar.
Stem cells with hair and teeth?
I applaud you for not choking her. Your restraint is admirable.

27/12/05 22:45  

Een reactie posten

<< Home

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger