:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 14 november 2005

I promised to think about it, so I did. I'm sure there are ten million more I didn't think of, but here we go:

10. Titanic. Yeah, yeah, shut up, I know. But despite all the hype, media-overdoneness, and cliches (ugh, I can't write that accented E without funny symbols), it was and is a really good movie. Very historically accurate and very believable. I had never even heard of Kate Winslet until I saw this movie, and she's one of my favorite actresses now.

9. Save the Last Dance. I suppose this can be classified as a 'chick flick', but still... I can't help but like it.

8. Silence of the Lambs. Wow. Just... wow. I don't like the ending - I think it's sort of unclear and anticlimactic - but the story itself is great, very tense and very cleverly done. And it's right that Hannibal Lecter go free. I don't think we're supposed to think like that, but I would have been disappointed if he had just stayed locked up the whole time.

7. My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I just think this movie is so original and funny! We quote it all the time at my house... like the famous 'Put some Windex on it,' if someone has a bruise or something.

6. Top Gun. Despite Tom Cruise's idiotic comments of late, this movie still ranks in my top ten. Elise introduced me to it during senior year. I was skeptical at first, but not for long. I hate the love scene, and I hate that Anthony Edwards dies, but it's still a great story. (And 'Highway to the Danger Zone' is a great song!)

5. A Knight's Tale. I really like the Chaucer thread ('I should write some of this story down...') and the way they mix Middle Ages scenery and characters with modern music and traditions, i.e. singing 'We Will Rock You' before the joust.

4. Chocolat. I explained the plot of this one yesterday. And look how far up the list it moved - all the way to number 4. It's strange, because I never thought this was really my type of movie - no ships sinking or planes crashing or knights jousting or spaceships burning, just sort of normal day-to-day life - but maybe that's exactly why I like it.

3. Armageddon. Again, shut up. I know the rest of the world thinks this movie is really old and cheesy, but I still just love it. I have a sort of fascination with space which never quite died after going to Space Camp as a kid, and this plays off of that. (If you look hard at that Life List in the left-hand column, 'Go into space' is listed there somewhere.)

2. Bend It Like Beckham. I dare you to show me a female athlete anywhere who doesn't like this movie. Wonderful, just wonderful.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean. Yep, the Pirates steal the number-one spot. Three of my very favorite actors in the world are in this movie - Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley - not to mention it has one of those great complicated plots where you understand a little bit more of it each time you watch the movie. I've loved this ride at Disney World forever, and now it's got its own film - and two more coming. I can't wait for the sequels!

Honorable mentions: ET, Love Actually, The Green Mile, The Patriot, Love and Basketball, and Jerry Maguire.

Since I seem to be on a movie roll today...

Top 5 favorite actors, in order: (1) Johnny Depp, (2) Orlando Bloom, (3) Leonardo DiCaprio, (4) Heath Ledger, (5) Dustin Hoffman. (Runners-up: Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, and Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise would have been higher up, but not after all that Scientology crap he pulled.)

Top 5 favorite actresses, in order: (1) Keira Knightley, (2) Kate Winslet, (3) Drew Barrymore, (4) Julia Roberts, (5) Julia Stiles. (Runners-up: Christina Ricci and Thora Birch.)

P.S. The Jaguars not only won (by 27 points) yesterday, but they broke 30 points, which a certain journalist has been nagging them about forever, so... congratulations! A 6-3 record, and heading into a 3-game stretch (on the road) against teams that are currently 2-7, 2-6, and 3-5, respectively. Let's see some more playing like last night. Woohoo!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger