:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 9 november 2005

Everything that must be done:

Creative Writing short story. It's going to be about a girl who eats in her sleep. Believe it or not, that's a real disorder. It happens, for instance, when people go on crash diets - they starve themselves during the day, so the body takes the food it needs at night... and then they wake up in the morning with crumbs on their faces or surrounded by pizza crusts or something. I got the idea that day I lost my clock and we thought I'd been sleepwalking, so I went and looked for it in the fridge. Dia came up with the sleepwalking part and I added the eating-disorder twist. Anyway, this shouldn't be too hard to write, but it's taking a back seat for now because the following three things are more important:

Linguistics presentation. I have to present Williams' Syndrome, which is a form of mental retardation characterized by very good linguistic and social skills. We suspect that my second cousin Laura has this disorder, although she's never been formally diagnosed, so I'm trying to get my dad to somehow make a recording of her voice that I can use in my presentation. I wish I had a picture of her, but we don't; we hardly ever see her, and when we do, there's not usually a camera in the vicinity. Anyway, I obviously can't focus the whole presentation around her, but I think having a real subject would add a dimension to my presentation that no one else had. Also, it's supposed to last around 30 minutes, and that is a LONG TIME, so having this extra material would help too. I don't think finding material is going to be a problem, nor is making the presentation (gotta love PowerPoint), but I'm a bit worried about dragging it out over 30 minutes.

Linguistics paper. I have to propose a linguistic experiment which has something to do with language acquisition, and write a research plan. I don't have to actually carry out the experiment, but I have to invent results and all that sort of thing. If it were just a normal paper, it would be easy, but since it's an experiment, that adds a whole new dimension. I don't like doing things like this. It's not helped by the fact that I can't come up with an idea. Anyone? Experiment ideas which relate to language acquisition? Help?

Thesis. The biggie. I'm on page 11 (single-spaced), and it's going pretty well, but it's choppy. I have a lot of information on Middle English and Modern English, but not so much on Early Modern. Then I have a lot on Modern Dutch, and barely anything on Afrikaans. It's not evenly balanced. Also, there are a lot of sections where I have to add, in capitals, LOOK FOR EXAMPLES OF BLAH-BLAH-BLAH or FIND OUT IF BLAH IS POSSIBLE, and then just move on with the writing. So almost none of the sections are truly finished, because they need more research. But I really do work better when I don't plan everything out ahead of time, but just write and work it out as I go. I get bored with plain research and note-taking. I also end up wasting time reading about totally random things which are interesting to me but often have nothing to do with the thesis. By actually having the writing process going, and having a specific goal that I'm working towards or theory that I'm trying to prove, I can be much more efficient in my research. Not everyone can work this way, but it's the best format for me. Plunge right in.

Aside: I'm trying to start selling some of the stuff I'm not going to take home, so if any of you Dutchies know someone who wants (among other things) a bike, bedding, an Enrico Benetti backpack, a Spanish 290 or Creative Writing textbook, a red Speedo bag, or (awesome) Celine Dion body wash, drop me a line, OK?

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger