:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 5 oktober 2005

Yesterday was awesome because:

- My package arrived!!! Reese's cups, dayplanner refills, fuzzy socks, a new book... what more could a girl want?

- I gave my Spanish presentation on The Time-Traveler's Wife, and it actually didn't suck. I had notes in front of me, but I only had to glance at them twice. And I only threw in one Dutch word - 'sorry' instead of 'lo siento' - in a moment of surprise. So, go me!

- We had muffins at lunch, and because I was wearing a sweatshirt, I was able to sneak an extra one into the kangaroo pocket, so I got both a yellow one and a chocolate one. Yummy.

- Simon liked my creative writing piece ("I'm finding it awfully hard to bitch, actually!") and Julia asked me if I'd ever considered making a living as a writer.

- I got an e-mail from Erik, and he's ordering my red messenger bag and Dad's blue backpack (payment for my translation work). But shhh, Dad's is a Christmas present, so don't tell!

- I got to hang out and watch Gilmore Girls with Hebe, Marijt, and Britt (even if it was last season, we had fun!)

- I met an American girl from Washington DC, Laura, the only other person I've met who speaks accentless Dutch after learning it as a second language. A group of us were jabbering in Dutch for a good twenty minutes, and then she remarked (while eating) that it was weird that the term is 'pine nuts' in English, but 'pine tree nuts' in Dutch. That tipped me off, because who would know that but a native English speaker, and I asked her what her native language was.
"Engels."
"He, van mij ook!"
"Echt? Waar kom je vandaan?"
"Amerika."
"Amerika?!" *pause* "...What the f**k?! I've been sitting here speaking Dutch to another American this whole time without realizing it?!" Turns out she has a language-learning story equally as twisted as mine, but her mother is Dutch, so the weirdness factor of her learning the language was a bit lower. We were both absolutely amazed, however, because neither of us had heard a single clue tipping off the other's non-nativeness. Wild.

- I got to swim in Waddinxveen, and so did not have to find the initiative to get up early and go by myself.

- And... there was a stripper at Ladies' Night in the UCU bar. Yes, I mean it. Really, ya gotta love the Dutch.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger