:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 10 oktober 2005

Guess what? I have an apartment for spring! This is big news, because things were in flux for a long time and I was afraid I was going to have to bite the bullet and just go back to La Mancha with its horrible office personnel and now-ridiculously-high rent of $505. (It was only worth my $405 last year because of the proximity to campus, and it's not worth $505 in any conceivable universe.)

But anyway, wonderful Monique (friend from swimming and linguistics) wanted to move from her one-bedroom apartment (in Pine Rush) to a 2-bedroom, because the rent was killing her too, so we were on tenterhooks for six weeks waiting for the verdict, and yesterday we were informed that she got it! So she's paid the deposit and we're all set! That means one roomie (not three), my own double bed (not single), and $270 a month rent! (Moreover, a roomie I know and like, rather than some stranger.) It's a 15-20 minute bike ride to campus (10 minutes with the bus; there's a stop right out front), but that's not a big deal, especially since I just got a (free!) road bike which I can't wait to ride, anyway.

Bottom line: YAAAAAY!!!

And as for the language dilemma, well, I've picked Spanish and Latin for definite yeses and German for a definite no (it's not spoken widely enough to justify learning it over the others, plus I already speak a Germanic language fluently - two, if you count English). So, based on the times that the classes are offered, that allows for five possible schedules, all of which have pluses and minuses.

1.) Spanish, Latin, weight training, French, Writing Systems. This would give me three languages plus Writing Systems, a cool-sounding linguistics class which would be nice to take if my current class doesn't get counted. But even if it does, I might still want this - it sounds really interesting. This is the most compact schedule - everything is 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th periods, which is great - and it also gives me the 'good' Spanish class (conversation) instead of 3301, which is grammar/composition.

2.) Spanish, Latin, weight training, Greek, sign language. This would give me the 'worse' Spanish class, but it would also give me four languages and it would let me have Latin and Greek together (which, let's face it, just belong together!). Also, sign language is, from a linguistic point of view, incredibly interesting; that's why I can't seem to drop it. Another plus: none of these languages are likely to interfere with my Dutch or Spanish, since none of them are spoken.

3.) Spanish, Latin, weight training, French, sign language. This is exactly the same schedule as #2, but instead of seventh-period Greek every day, it would be French. Again, the 'bad' Spanish (because sign language and 'good' Spanish conflict), but four languages. I'm having trouble deciding.

4.) Spanish, Latin, weight training, French, Greek. Four languages, 'good' Spanish, but no sign language.

5.) Spanish, Latin, weight training, Writing Systems, sign language, (gymnastics). This one has a lot of pluses, too - I get Writing Systems and sign language, plus the 'good' Spanish, and the number of credits works out to let me take that beginner gymnastics class too if I want to. But: no Greek or French...

Anyway, vote in comments, please!

Funny anecdote for the evening: Tom playing basketball. I have no particular love for Tom - he's a pro-Bush Austrian chauvinist - but tonight he was rather bearable, and not only because he was making me laugh (see below). Anyway, he's a pretty small, skinny guy, and he was making all kinds of wild shots during the game tonight, many of which didn't even touch the basket (causing all of us on the bench to scream and curse and generally shake our heads). With one-and-a-half minutes left, standing practically on the sideline, he launched another wild toss. Marijntje, Frans, and I screamed with one voice, "What the hell are you--" only to be choked off as the ball dropped cleanly through the basket! "--oh." Seriously - all together. That, plus Marijntje's and my screaming fit at the scorekeepers, who counted the shot as only two points and didn't want to admit it, led to a laughing fit of at least five minutes.

Also, I will never again make fun of Dia for her lack of Dutch bike-riding skills, now that I've had experience with someone who has simply NO bike-riding skills whatsoever. In the course of this evening, Tom (a) forgot which bicycle was his, (b) took over five minutes to unlock it, (c) crashed headlong into two innocent Dutch bikers, (d) knocked the bike's light off the frame, and (e) swerved out of control on the slight bump up into the UC campus, careened wildly in front of Frans and me, and smashed into the gate. I still laugh when I think about that last one.

Parting question: Am I twenty years behind everyone else because I've become obsessed with Roxette's "Fading Like a Flower" dance remix? LOL... I've been a fan of "Dangerous" for years, but never knew about this one!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger