:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

dinsdag 6 september 2005

Good stuff about today:

1.) I got my thesis officially fully approved. That means I get to drop the Approaches in the Humanities class - hooray! It's going to focus on the Holocaust, so it actually sounded halfway interesting, but the first day was boring beyond belief, all kinds of philosophical terms and theories. The teacher also doesn't have the greatest command of English. "Okay, so, just as an example, suppose that in the coffee break, Mary suddenly kisses John overabundantly." "...So you see, the director was able to express the concept filmically." Um. Yeah. Oh well, I suppose I do the same thing in Dutch sometimes... but then again, I don't teach.

2.) I swam 3500 meters, which isn't very far, but I keep forgetting that I have to add 10 yards for every 100 meters. That is, I have to add 350 to that 3500 total, so I actually swam 3850 yards, which is just under a full Club Alligator workout. Not too shabby. A normal workout for me is about 5000 yards (so, uh... 4500 meters, or thereabouts), which I'll never get in Waddinxveen because the pool activities are very tightly scheduled (the minute the clock hits 19:30 they start hauling the lane ropes out for the water polo teams), but the Krommerijn opens on the 19th and I'm already deep in negotiations with their staff about 'adjusting' the normal yearlong membership for a student who's only going to be in town for three months. :) I'm going to aim for 25,000 meters a week... that should have me fit enough for meets in January. I hope the Krommerijn has the normal non-turbulent lane lines... or else that there aren't many people swimming in the mornings. I truly hate the lane ropes at the Waddinxveen pool - they're literally ropes, so they do absolutely nothing to stop the waves, so every time you turn to breathe, you get a mouthful of water. Ah, well, I'll just consider it good open-water training. Speaking of which, I still need to find a place to do that ... anyone know of any good swimming beaches in NL?

A few more minor good things:

- We get to finally write in Creative Writing; I get to write an imitation of Margaret Atwood's style. I'm going to be very good at that.
- The handyman is coming tomorrow to fix all our problems with the room, so my window shade will finally work and it won't be so effing hot in here in the mornings.
- There are no classes tomorrow, because it's Wednesday.
- I had my patatje speciaal, and it was very good.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger