:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

donderdag 1 september 2005

Good news upon good news!

1.) Just had my first linguistics class, and it rocks. There are only 9 students in the class and I've definitely got the most linguistic experience of anyone (this will be course #11 for me), so the teacher (a Russian named Sergey) liked me right away. He also loved the fact that I'm applying to Yale's linguistics department (where he worked for a while) and that I'm American (he claims to be as well, but who knows if that's true?). At any rate, he was pleased. Also, we got assigned presentations, and I get to do Williams Syndrome, which is great because we suspect that my second cousin Laura may have that disorder, meaning I could use her as a sort of subject. Awesome, awesome.

2.) Second piece of good news: I got into Creative Writing! That means that horrible philosophy course is gone far, far away and I now have Language and Development, Intermediate Spanish, Creative Writing, and Approaches in the Humanities (this semester's theme is the Holocaust).

Monday - 16:00 linguistics
Tuesday - 8:45 Approaches in the Humanities, 11:00 Creative Writing, 13:45 Spanish
Wednesday - OFF
Thursday - 8:45 linguistics
Friday - 11:00 Spanish, 13:45 Approaches in the Humanities, 16:00 Creative Writing

That's a good schedule as is, and it will be made even better after they approve my thesis topic and let me drop Approaches in the Humanities in exchange for Research 301. But even if they don't approve it (which they may not; apparently they're not in the habit of doing that for exchange students), I can still definitely live with that schedule.

3.) Third piece of good news: tonight is my first swim practice with the Masters team in Gouda (actually Waddinxveen). Apparently it's about a 45-minute train trip with one transfer, and the pool is within 10 minutes' walking distance from the station. That should work. I bought a discount card today (€55) so I can chop 40% off the train tickets... I wasn't planning on getting one, but if I'm swimming there three times a week, I need it - the fare is €7 with the discount and €11,70 without it, so I'll break even in just a month. Plus I'm sure I'll be taking the train to other places, at least occasionally, so it's probably a good thing I caved in and got one so early.

4.) More good news - while typing this post, I got an e-mail saying more of my financial aid has come in! That means, even though it's not there yet, that I get some money in my account! Hooray! Now I'm just waiting on National Merit, and that should come any time now.

5.) Other stuff I did today: bought my linguistics book (€33), bought a Spanish dictionary (€10), went to the Albert Heijn (€8,80), talked on the phone with Christine, and turned in my thesis research proposal and timeline for approval. Am I efficient or what?

Time for a little nap now, I think. :)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger