:: eye of the storm ::

About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 22 juli 2005

Robin asks how everyone's day was yesterday. Okay, here we go.

3:00 - Climbed blearily out of bed and put on my uniform. Ate some cereal, looked halfheartedly at the forms I'm supposed to send back ASAP to UCU, and scribbled a few notes into my dayplanner.
3:30 - Left the house, iPod blaring.
4:05 - Arrived at work and did my pre-trip, only to discover that the radio wasn't working. That always makes for a verrry long shift.
4:15 - Headed out on my first trip, to the beach. No passengers.
6:00 - Picked up a young Chinese student at the airport and headed to Gainesville with him. I got to give him a new 'English name' - he had been going by Fred (to limit the confusion caused by his real name, Tong-Hai), but I told him that was a terrible choice, so he agreed to switch to Jason. (He just looked like a Jason to me...)
7:50 - Dropped off Jason/Fred/Tong-Hai - no tip - and collected passenger number two, nicknamed 'Dutch' - a retired Vietnam vet who audits history and politics classes at UF and whose life dream is to join the Peace Corps with his wife. We had a great conversation about the disintegration of America's world image because of our clueless leader.
9:45 - Dropped 'Dutch' at the terminal. Again, not one red cent. ("Wow, that ride just flew by. Maybe I'll see you again Wednesday evening when I come back?" he said hopefully. Hah.)
10:00 - Headed out to the beach for my last trip, carting a walk-up passenger to the Mayo Clinic. I'd seen him tip an airport staff member $20 for carrying his bags, so I had high hopes, but once arrived, he ended up forgetting that he hadn't paid me the fare yet, and so the fat $20 tip had to become the $20 fare. Once again, no dice.
12:00 - Post-tripped the van, washed it off, and left.
12:45 - Arrived home to find both parents gone. Made a ravioli Lean Cuisine for lunch and did a bit of Netherlands packing reorganization.
13:00 - Went to sleep.
17:28 - Woke up before the alarm, saw the sunshine streaming through the windows and nearly had a heart attack, thinking in my sleepy daze that I had missed my 4 AM call.
17:31 - Calmed down. Went back to sleep for a few minutes.
17:50 - Got up with the alarm, put on my bathing suit, and headed out to swim practice.
18:20 - Arrived at the pool. Yelled at Brian for having had Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in his posession for a full six days and not having finished it.
18:30 - Started warming up. Got in 1700 yards (500 free, 500 kick, 200 drill, 200 stroke, and another 300 kick) before practice officially started at 19:00.
19:10 - Started doing our coach's sets. First it was 12 x 50 free on :50, descending by 4s (ouch!), then a 300 kick with fins, and then one great big long set - 5 x 100 free, 300 kick (with fins), 5 x 100 of each stroke plus an IM, 300 kick with fins, 5 x 100 of one stroke, 300 kick with fins.
20:20 - Last set: 12 x 50 easy/fast on 1:00. I did 4 (my shoulder was starting to hurt), then warmed down, for a total of 5000 yards.
20:30 - Practice ended; we all showered and changed and jumped in our cars to head to San Marco.
21:00 - Regrouped at Pizza Palace for our coach's welcome-back party. Had a salad and split a chicken-and-spinach calzone with Linda. Heaven on earth! I'm definitely going back there.
22:20 - Arrived home. Showered, put on my PJs, put the heating pad on my shoulder, and had a little frozen yogurt while flipping between Honey and The Amazing Panda Adventure on TV.
23:10 - Went to bed for a precious almost-four hours before I had to get up and do it all over again, today!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003

Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger