:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 6 april 2005

Random things to write about:

(1.) Apparently I won $500 in that scholarship competition I interviewed for last Friday (which, as one of my teachers said, will get me about halfway across the Atlantic in summer). I have yet to hear anything official, but she got a letter via the university's internal mail and e-mailed me to congratulate me - whereas I still knew nothing about it, so the interaction went something like, "Hey, congratulations!" "Wait a second, they haven't even told me yet, how do you know?!" But I'm glad I got something. I'm still coming up short for the semester, considering I have to pay around $4000 for University College plus another six or seven hundred (if I'm lucky!) for a plane ticket, but maybe I got one of the CLAS scholarships I applied for and haven't been notified yet. Plus I'll be earning a lot of money this summer. It'll work out.

(2.) As T-shirt chairperson for our swim team, I'm up to 14 T-shirts and 6 jackets. I'm aiming to get to 25 shirts, because we get a pretty substantial price cut if we pass 24, and with the jackets, I'm just hoping to get it up to 12 (the minimum number to order anything at all). So if anyone's interested in a Club Alligator Swim Team shirt (orange) or jacket (blue), let me know. I just received the final designs ten minutes ago via e-mail with the changes I wanted to see, and they are GORGEOUS!!! I absolutely can't wait to see the finished products! And I'm so proud that something I came up with in my head could become a reality and look this good!

(3.) I always thought I hated swimming long-course (where the pool's set at 50 meters instead of the usual 25 yards), but today in class, we had a mock swim meet in which I swam the 50 free... in 34.7 seconds. My fastest time on short-course (25 yards) was a relay split time of 34.14 (in last Thursday's meet), which is still pretty pathetic, so I didn't think too much of it, but I got bored in class today and started doing the math to see how big the difference between yards and meters really is and what my adjusted time would be. And no matter how many times I do it, whether I use my own calculations or an online formula, it still comes out as saying that my 'real' time (since we swim in yards in America) would be 31 and change. That is RIDICULOUS! That's three full seconds faster - how is that possible? I had a good warm-up today, which definitely would have made a difference, but still, that's a lot of time to chop off. All I can think is that my flip turn is slowing me down instead of providing a boost like it's supposed to. But anyway, wow! That was the highlight of my day. Guess I better not get too used to it, though, since I'll be swimming meters over in the Netherlands in the fall and getting my clock cleaned by a bunch of fifteen-year-olds. :)

(4.) I think I'm becoming a rabbit. Between yesterday's and today's snacks, I've polished off an entire bell pepper, plus had two enormous salads (with carrots, baby tomatoes, sandwich peppers, shredded turkey, and light Caesar dressing... yum!) for dinner the past two nights. I even had a big bite of Renate's apple and didn't puke. (I usually can't stand apples.) Really... do my ears look bigger? Is my nose twitching? Is my skin getting white? Or is that from the 2/3 gallon of milk I've also polished off in the past 48 hours?

(5.) There is no #5... it just seemed wrong to end on #4. :)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger