:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zondag 13 maart 2005

Well, I did get up for the triathlon, and it was fun. N, a girl from swim team, also competes with TriGators, the UF triathlon team, and so does her sister L, so the two of them stuck with me all day. Decked out in sports bras and bike shorts, we swam the 250 meters (piece of cake), then threw on T-shirts and biked the 4 miles (not too awful, except for one evil hill), and ran the 1.5 miles (short, but terrible). I finished in about 45 minutes - N and her sister were a little faster, partly because they had 'real' racing bikes whereas I was trying to force a race out of my three-year-old fifty-dollar Wal-Mart investment with the kiddie nameplate on the back. Doesn't make for cooperative legs during the run. Ah, well, what could I do? Maybe someday I'll invest in a real bike, but it won't be anytime in the near future. My next 'sporty' purchase is going to be - finally - a Speedo swimming backpack, the bag of choice for swimmers. My Adidas duffel bag serves the purpose, but the Speedo will be easier on my shoulders during the cross-campus hikes to the pool, and it's more water-resistant, so it won't drip all over me (and the bus) after practice.

But I'm rambling. Anyway. There were some awfully little kids at that race - and they finished it, too! Two little girls, 10 and 8, and this tiny Filipino-looking boy whose age I didn't catch - nine or ten, I'd guess - but who smoked his way through the course, beating his own father (whom he trains with). They said he did the same thing last year - blew most of the adults out of the water. I was running the last couple hundred yards to the finish when I heard fast-moving feet behind me. "Wow, somebody's really pouring on the steam here at the end," I thought, not looking back. Then the little boy ran past me - his shorter legs being the reason I'd thought he was an adult running hard. He finished twenty or thirty seconds ahead of me, to huge applause. I caught the eye of a female supporter as I ran by and moaned, "That was really embarrassing." She, along with everybody else, started laughing.

So then it was over, and we had a whole day to go! N and I jumped back into the pool where R was coaching Masters practice and swam a little to cool off, then munched on bagels and Gatorade while talking with random people and buying T-shirts. Then we noticed that the sports massage students were across the street with their tables giving free massages to the athletes, so OF COURSE we went over there! Bliss... Then the three of us went our separate ways for an hour or two, agreeing to call each other when we got hungry. So we all showered and laid around lethargically in our separate rooms, then, at almost exactly the same time, all suddenly grabbed our phones and called each other and complained that we were starving. So we met up again at Pita Pit, followed up by Ben & Jerry's. (If I believed in God, his name would be Mint Chocolate Chunk.) I killed the rest of the day in front of the computer and on the phone with Mom, then caught the tail end of Silence of the Lambs while eating cheese grits for dinner. (Healthy day I'm having here, eh?)

And so here I sit again... putting off finishing my Language and Dialect paper. I need to work on it, because it's due Wednesday and I have an exam Tuesday which is going to take all my time tomorrow night - but I just don't wanna. N, L and I agreed on the walk back that this was a great weekend - lots of sports and no school. But now it's time for school again, and I think I'd rather have just one more day of rest first. Bah.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger