:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 18 maart 2005

Well, at least ONE of the dozens of scholarship applications I filled out got a response; the CLAS dean's office just sent me an e-mail saying that I had "exceptionally fine credentials" for the Ruth McQuown scholarship ($3000) and that the committee is scheduling me for an interview on April 1st. "The Committee would like to get to know [me] a little better; in particular they would like to hear more about [my] academic interests, community service and how [I] feel these relate to the changing world of women." Yikes. Anybody got any bright ideas on how to respond to that?

Last night was fun; I went to Masters practice instead of the club team's since I had to go take a math exam at 20:30, and my old buddy G was there - first time I'd seen her in a long time. I didn't realize I'd gotten any faster, but apparently I have, because she used to be faster than me but last night she was a lot slower. We didn't get all that much swimming done, though, because R had a water bottle full of whiskey (yay, St. Patrick's Day) and was prancing up and down the lanes, giving everyone sips. "Just pretend it's water, that it'll rehydrate you!" Then, before I went to take my test, she insisted that I couldn't walk 'all the way' (under ten minutes) down to the physics building without enough warm clothes on, and swaddled me in her sweater, zipping it up to my chin as if I were a toddler. The cuffs covered my whole hands!

Anyway, I took the test and was one of the first ones done. I got an A - only missed two questions, one of which was a dumb mistake (I had worked the math correctly and had the right answer, but circled it as a negative instead of a positive). So then I walked home (feeling, admittedly, grateful for R's sweater at that point - what is WITH this weather??) and discovered R and D, a good friend of hers, doing some pre-drinking before going out. They had bought sandwiches and chewy Chips Ahoy, plus a bottle of Irish Cream (of course - St. Patty's!) and some Jim Beam. R was determined to get D drunk, but he didn't want to get as drunk as she was trying to make him, so he kept slipping me his milkshake-like Irish Cream drink so I could 'help'. He was pretty drunk already, though, because he held me captive in the kitchen for, like, ten minutes, rambling on about his high school history project while I was trying to make pasta. Until R came into the kitchen and asked me in Afrikaans, "Is he talking your ear off?" (literally: Is he talking your life away?), with a huge grin, knowing D couldn't understand her, and successfully changed the subject. ("Not everyone can speak German!" "German?!")

Speaking of which, F got back from Germany last night and apparently brought half the country's supply of Kinder chocolate with her (that's the company who makes everything with chocolate, wafer, and hazelnut creme... it's incredible), so now there are five boxes sitting on the railing of the upstairs landing. And since all four of us were just home together for ten brief minutes, the boxes are already half empty. Yes, we're girls.

Anecdote: While watching Discovery Health last night, I found out that the reason guys always stare at girls' chests and butts is because fat deposits (read: curves) send the message that that woman will bear healthy babies. I think I knew that already, but I'd forgotten it. So what am I gonna have - quintuplets?

One last thing: N, one of my swim team friends, has talked me into swimming across Lake Wauberg with her tomorrow. There's apparently a whole group doing it, and there'll be lifeguards in canoes and all, but It. Is. Going. To. Be. FREEZING. And there are alligators in that lake... though I suppose if WE think it's cold, it'll definitely be too cold for an animal that can't control its body temperature. And UF doesn't want to be sued; they wouldn't do anything stupid...

...but if you don't hear from me in the next few days, you know what probably happened. :)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger