:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

dinsdag 22 februari 2005

During the nine-hour drive back from New Orleans (plus an hour with the time change - am I the only person who didn't know that Florida lies in two different time zones?), I got a call from Dad. "Wanna go to the Jimmy Buffett concert tomorrow night?" My response was something like, "Wow, short notice, but, uh, YES!" So we went, last night - my first time in the new Jacksonville Arena - and it was really a wonderful show. All ages were present, from teenagers to senior citizens, and everyone was tailgating and drinking margaritas and blasting music and wearing wild, colorful clothes, wacky hats, and lots of beads and accessories. Once we got inside, it turned out that the concert had also provided about a hundred beach balls, of all different sizes and colors, and they were bouncing around the stands the whole time. It was colorful and exciting (actually felt more like New Orleans than New Orleans had!). And Jimmy put on a great show - he was one hundred percent 'real', no lip-synching or backup tracks for him. He just stood up there in his T-shirt and bare feet, like a beach bum that someone handed a microphone to, and sang all his hits, and it was just so cool! My favorite part was when he sang 'Fins' - there was a huge remote-controlled inflatable shark flying around the arena and everyone was making fins on top of their heads with their hands and yelling, "Fins to the left, fins to the right..." and dancing. I wouldn't call it the best concert I've ever seen - Shania Twain has to keep that honor, since I got onstage - but it was definitely memorable. I got a shirt. :)

Swimming felt so good today! Especially this morning. The O'Connell Center pool was chilled down for SECs - I'm not sure how cold it is, but it's colder than normal - and it's so much nicer to swim in! The jumping-in part sucks, yeah, and the first fifty yards or so is pretty cold, but then you feel this rush of hot blood go through you and you warm up and it feels great. I didn't want to get out this morning - it didn't feel like we'd worked at all! Granted, we only swam about 1200 then because we had to take time to go over the midterms, but still. Tonight at practice we did 3800, so the day's total is 5k. Not bad.

Why do things always seem to go in 'waves'? Either I have almost nothing to do or I don't have a free minute. My current 'stressor' is my Academic Advising form for Utrecht (a.k.a. the Green Sheet of Death). The Utrecht course catalog isn't out yet, but I have to turn in the sheet by Friday, so I have to basically invent some courses to put on the sheet for 'formal' purposes and then e-mail my advisor later on with what I really end up taking. Seems a bit useless in my case, but whatever. Anyhow, other obligations include getting information on the GRE, buying new shoes and a new bathing suit, paying rent, getting a new driver's license, visiting my grandparents, finding sources for and writing a seven-page paper, doing laundry, and who knows how many other things I'm forgetting.

But: only three days until spring break! That's good news, even though I'm not doing anything really exciting - just going home to J-ville and working a lot. (Note to self: pack uniform!) But it'll be nice to have a break (and it'll definitely be nice to make some money!). I don't think any of my high school friends' breaks sync up with mine, which is too bad. Then again, I couldn't get in touch with my friend from UCF - she appears to have changed her e-mail address and forgotten to tell me - so maybe she'll be home too. We shall see.

One last thing: I took a three hour nap this afternoon, and it was wonderful.

Anyhoo, off to finish my book and study for a midterm. Ciao!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger