:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 10 januari 2005

OK, I've got my "spring semester life" pretty much worked out now. I dropped Spanish 2201 because it was too easy and the teacher didn't spend as much time speaking Spanish as she was supposed to. After a few days of biting my nails, I got permission today to audit 2240 - the first class in the major/minor series. What that means is that I'm not officially registered so I don't pay for the class, nor do I have to write papers or take tests - I just go to class whenever I can and sit and participate - 'soak up the language' if you will. Today was the first day and it's working out well so far.

So, Spanish is worked out, my three linguistics courses are all fascinating, lifeguarding looks like it's going to NOT be dropped, math is, well, math, and I passed my 200-yard swim test with a 3:06 this morning when I only needed 4:30. So go me, and go UF for having awesome linguistics classes this time around.

Guess what - I just found out from a new (Dutch) e-mail friend, J, that my site is on Google now! If you type 'jess1only' - not that anyone would - I'm the first result! So go search for it! :)

I decided one other thing today - about Semester at Sea. Now that we're actually into the spring semester, it's not going to be that long until we have to choose our fall 2005 classes. I need to know before then what I'm going to be doing this fall - otherwise I'm going to end up stuck here with no schedule. Nothing is certain yet, but it's extremely unlikely that I'll be able to scrape another $10k together for Semester at Sea. My supposed 'full scholarship' only comes to about $4000. Add a $1000 CLAS scholarship and a $2000 UFIC scholarship, both of which I'm pretty sure I'll get, and we've got $7k, and I figure my parents and I together could make up $3k. So I've got $10k pretty much for sure, but I can't count on any of the other scholarships. If I get a fat one from Semester at Sea itself - one of the merit-based grants for $5000, say - then I might have a shot at it, but without that, this isn't going to happen.

I still need to make some calls and figure out WHEN exactly I'll know all this stuff, but the bottom line is, if SAS doesn't pan out, I'll go back to Utrecht for the semester. I can't go for the year because I have to graduate in the first week of May and the Dutch semester doesn't end until the beginning of July, but what I'd like to do is go do that 10-mile swim in Boston on 6 August, then fly from there to the Netherlands, stay until mid-December, then come home for Christmas and my last semester at UF. Money-wise, that's a lot more appealing - even with the horrible exchange rate, $1.36 = 1 euro! - but I can't shake the nagging, "You will never get this chance again!" thoughts about SAS, either. So we'll see. I'm going to give them a call as soon as I'm done here.

Which I suppose I am, now...

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger