:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

donderdag 27 januari 2005

Ahhh. The dreaded Thursday - which began at 6:00 - is over, or almost. I went to math three times, swam twice, sat through English and its Relatives for a double period, and went to work... for the fourth-from-last time!

Yes, that's right, I quit my job at the day care. I'm being nice and using school and swimming and my new job at Runways as excuses, but the real reason, as we all know, is that I can't stand my boss. She's the type of person who sounds abrasive no matter what she's saying and makes you feel certain you've done something wrong as soon as she walks into a room. That place has a really high turnover rate, and it's largely because of her, but of course, no one can tell her that. Anyway, doesn't matter, 'cause as of Tuesday the 8th, I'm outta there!

School was okay - the math quiz was way easier than I expected (I didn't even NEED to get up so early to go to that first-period review!), and J taught English and its Relatives instead of Prof. M, which was great, especially since it was a double period. They're both very knowledgable, but M gives the impression of having SO much information at his disposal that he can just spew out a nonstop stream of gobbledygook and think he's being perfectly clear. It astounds me how much he obviously knows, but I literally cannot follow 30 seconds' worth of what he says when he teaches - it's very stream-of-consciousness, jumping from point to point, all in excruciating, OCD detail. J, on the other hand, can easily condense an hour's worth of M's jibberjabber into a couple of main ideas and concepts, and what's more, he keeps a sense of humor about it. I think the entire class would be lost by now if he weren't there - I don't know how C and B did it last semester, taking that etymology class with M. But anyway, we translated a parable from Gothic today, which was really fun - their alphabet has a lot of letters which look similar to ours, but also some which look different, so you have to first translate from Gothic letters to English letters and only then into the actual English words. The parable, thankfully, was already in English letters, so it went fairly fast. I love that kind of thing; I'd always wished I had had the chance to take Greek or Latin for that very reason.

Other news from today... L the Kick Nazi succeeded in screwing up my right knee with her kicking drills yesterday morning. The left one is fine, so my guess is that the right one is a little more susceptible to this kind of thing due to all the years I spent walking with it turned out sideways to avoid stretching my Achilles. Anyway, it doesn't hurt when walking or biking or anything, only when kicking, especially in breaststroke and butterfly (I stopped after only a few strokes of those tonight). L was making us kick on intervals - 4 x 25 yards with each 25 on an interval - first 4 lengths at 45 seconds (ridiculously easy), then 40, then 35, then 30, and finally 25. "If you can't make the interval, you have to get out!" Of course, no one wanted to get out, so we did our best... she finally got me during the second length of the 25-second interval. When she saw me duck over into the 'spectators' lane, she yelled my name across the pool and spread out her arms like, 'what the heck is wrong with you?' "I didn't make it," I yelled back, shrugging. "At least I'm honest about it!" (There was a boy in my lane who was even slower than I was - blatantly missing the interval every time - and still he kept on going.) Anyway, it was fun - I like competition - but I felt the effects yesterday evening at Masters and I'm still feeling them today. Oh well, there's no practice tomorrow night because of the swim meet (UF versus UVA) so I can give it a rest until Monday. I'll even do abdominals and stuff on Saturday instead of my run. But I'm in good company; R's ankle is still not 100% from that pre-Christmas tumble down the stairs, so she hasn't run in a month either, which is killing her.

Speaking of essential elements of running... my iPod is dead and I mean for good. It had a couple of false deaths last week, but now it is well and truly out for the count. I'm going to try to look up how to reinitialize it and if that doesn't work I'll have to take it back. Sigh. Such a fun toy, and it breaks after a month...

Okay, it's definitely dinnertime now. One last thing - I just got a link to this. Great stuff! :)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger