:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zaterdag 11 december 2004

Wow, it's been over a week since I last posted, and it feels like forever. Here are the high points:

I broke up with Martin.
I'm still going over for Christmas - it'll be great to be back in NL, to see my friends, and to see him - and we're going to have a great vacation and act just like we always do, but after that, it's over. It hadn't felt perfectly 'right' for a long time, but that didn't matter so much until recently. Now it's getting to the point where I have to decide if I 'love him enough' to change my entire life and limit my options while I'm still so young, and I decided I don't. And I feel no regret whatsoever - only relief.

I applied for Semester at Sea.
Check out that site - I'll hopefully be going on the Fall 2005 trip. This has the potential to be the most amazing experience of my life; however, it's also going to run me about $20,000 - yes, for ONE semester - and Bright Futures and National Merit only pay about $4000. I'm hitting up every single business and scholarship site I can think of - my best idea so far has been to e-mail the newspaper and see if they'll sponsor me in exchange for my writing a feature about every country I visit - but it's going to be tough to raise that amount, especially since I refuse to take out a loan. If anyone has any ideas for me or knows of any scholarships out there that I might have forgotten about, please let me know!

School is out!
So I'm back in Jacksonville for a few days - until Sunday night, anyway, since exams start Monday. I went to the dentist and eye doctor today (need some new sealants done on my molars, and I'm apparently now actually a tiny bit FARsighted in my right eye due to that overcorrection) and have a haircut appointment tomorrow. I love getting my hair cut - I know Mom likes it better when it's a little thicker and longer, but I love how it feels when it's short - I don't even need a swim cap.

My size 8 jeans fit me again.
Yes, they're still a bit small, but I can wear them. This is a major coup. For those who don't know, I swim two mornings a week (for a class) and five evenings a week (for R's team) and I love how it's going - my shoulders and arms are getting really strong, I can swim faster and farther all the time, and my butterfly stroke gets better every day. I've toyed with the idea of swimming the English Channel someday ever since I first read National Velvet (in the book, Velvet's mom swam the Channel) but now I'm starting to think I may actually do it. Maybe that'll be my next fundraiser... :)

I went for a run today and didn't have to stop once.
That, too, is a big deal - I went on approximately a two-mile run and didn't have to slow down at all. I just kept going. So the swimming is helping me there, too. Even better, I did not feel a single twinge from my foot. This physical therapy stuff is amazing - why didn't they recommend this when I was first recovering from the surgieries? That amazes the people in the PT room too - "If you were immobilized for a year -" which I was, "- you should really have had something like this done before now!"

That's all for now...
- But I promise I won't leave you hanging for so long again. And if I get to do the Semester at Sea, you can bet I'll be keeping you guys updated through here!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger