:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

dinsdag 9 november 2004

My left speaker, of the set I inherited after Charlotte left, does not work, possibly due to someone's brilliant method of twisting and crushing the cords to let them make their exit out of the speaker stands, rather than simply threading them through the holes in the backs, as was clearly the idea. So with stereo songs, where different 'parts' of the music come through each speaker, I only hear half the vocals. Odd.

I left my goggles at the pool on Monday. They were nice ones, too. Bah.

I am out of printer paper. This, too, merits a Bah.

Shifting topic... you know... I've had quite a bit of heartache and uncertainty over the past two years, but I'm only just now realizing something. A relationship is not just good conversation, physicality, compatible lifestyles, and 'that extra spark'. I've had all of those things before, but we were missing one important thing - arguing. Don't get me wrong; I truly hate arguing with people I care about, yet I'm starting to understand that that can be as powerful a tool as any other for learning about each other. Many people say they can 'agree to disagree', but then they really don't - the subject continues to come up in conversation and to prey on both parties' minds. This is true in friend-friend relationships as well as romantic ones. But when you can argue - totally NOT see eye to eye - and then step back quietly for a few minutes, see the other side, accept the fact that you have found yet another thing about this person that you cannot change, and move on, without the fear of repercussions in the relationship - only then have you found that missing ingredient.

(Extra points if the argument is about money.) :)

That was my philosophizing for the evening, probably the result of the pint of Ben & Jerry's I ate while watching Gilmore Girls. Yes, a whole pint. K, my freshman year roommate, trained me well. I watch what I eat and exercise a lot, and it's usually not that difficult. But every once in a while, I get that gnawing hunger to really gorge on something sweet - not just have a little, but have a LOT. Whether that's a result of being so careful all the time, or just a part of my personality, I don't know. But I know that after I eat the pint of ice cream or box of cookies or whatever it is, the urge is satisfied for a good month or so. And since it's that infrequent, I have decided to enjoy those moments rather than feeling guilty about them. So tonight's pint of Chubby Hubby (peanut butter, pretzels, and fudge in vanilla malt ice cream) was the November indulgence.

I have been going kind of exercise-crazy lately, though. I swam Monday and Wednesday as usual, then Friday for a make-up, then ran the stadium on Saturday (in UF-speak, 'ran the stadium' = ran up and down all the stairs in the lower level), then ran around the campus just because I didn't feel like I was 'done', then rode my bike to Target the next day, then swam in class yesterday, with so much pain in my calves from those stairs that I could literally barely kick. I didn't do anything today, and my legs feel much better, but I've got to swim again tomorrow morning (borrowed Renate's goggles - it rocks to have a former Olympic swimmer as a roommate!) and then I'm planning to go running when I get home, because I'm having Lasik on Thursday and won't be able to exercise for a few days. I've also been looking into joining a couple of sports clubs here at UF - Ultimate Frisbee, for sure, and also maybe roller hockey and possibly lacrosse if that girl ever e-mails me back. Never played it before, but it just looks like so much fun. Sadly, they didn't have any basketball.

And, just to make this stream-of-consciousness entry complete: there is the cutest new baby at work. It's a little girl, M, and she's six weeks old with red hair and blue eyes. I spend a lot of time around little kids, but this one is a keeper - the kind of baby you pick up just for the heck of it, because she's so little and cuddly. She fell asleep in my arms today... first baby to do that since hospital volunteering. I didn't want to put her down. :)

Countdown to Lasik: 33 hours!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger