:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 19 november 2004

Ahh, Friday. The fact that I have to go to work anyway to fill in for someone is tempered by the fact that I get a check (however small it may be since I missed last Thursday). Looking forward to more interesting comments from my boss. She actually paid me a compliment yesterday. "You look nice today," she said, then immediately blew it by adding, "Jennif - uh, J - Jessica." Still pondering the implications of that one - is she trying to get back into my good graces (unlikely), is she trying to imply that I don't look as nice on other days (hmm), or did she just genuinely think I looked nice (in my Target pants and H&M top)? Hah.

This, by the way, is my 300th post. That ought to merit something, don't you think?

Our LIN 3201 teacher was absent today, so the TA came to class, passed out the quizzes, asked me if I would collect them at the end... and then left the room to go back to her office on the other side of campus to set up a computer program. What amazed me is that everyone behaved exactly as they would have if the TA had stayed - not one single person tried to take advantage of the situation to discuss the answers. Am I a bad person because I would have joined in if someone else had taken the lead? Oh well, it was easy anyway - a first for that class. I think I actually got them all right.

28 days - four weeks exactly - until my trip. And only 19 days until the semester is over! I can't wait, even though I know spring is going to be even more brutal (19 credits, and a FIRST-PERIOD class two days a week... that means a 6:00 wake-up call). My other source of glee comes from realizing today in the middle of anthropology that the over $200 I shelled out for three textbooks in August (because none of them were available used) means I'll get about $100 back during exam week. Spiffy!

R, my Olympic-swimming roommate, has asked me repeatedly to come and swim with her group - she coaches a night swimming group here at UF. I always had something to do - or just plain forgot - and never went. But last night, she came home and said, "Know what I found out today? That E is your teacher!" Turns out my other linguistics teacher, the Dutch one, who teaches the Structure class (the one I like), swims with that group! Funny. Anyway, she invited me again to come join them ("I wouldn't even charge you, you can just swim!") and so I'm going tonight. Might as well take advantage of the 'available resources', right? :) Wish me luck!

And... yesterday marked the end of Week I, so I no longer have to put drops in my eyes every hour! Actually, no longer at all, except that I usually need to use the 'tears' when I first wake up in the morning. I didn't mind the drops so much, but I can't wait until I can stop taping those shields to my eyes. I walked around all day yesterday with a red stripe on my left cheekbone where I ripped off the tape. I tried to tape in a different place last night, more 'under' my eye, and now I've just got a red spot in a different place. Weird how it's only on the left side. Maybe when I go in on Monday, they'll tell me I can use my soft sleep mask instead of the high-tech stuff. :) Anyway, my eyes are still doing fine except that the right one is still kinda blurry - but I called them and they said that's normal, especially since they had to do so much work on that one (I was a -7.50). Oh well, even if it turns out to be NOT normal, 'enhancements', should they prove necessary, are included in the price we paid.

No other news except, in keeping with the theme of 'taking advantage of free resources', that I went by the Lifestyle Appraisal Center this morning to make an appointment for a Personal Fitness Profile. Basically, everything gets measured. The Health & Human Performance students use you to get practice, which is why it's free. So after December 2nd, I'll know my:

blood pressure (usually very low...)
resting heart weight (no clue)
height (5'4.5", to the best of my knowledge)
weight (hah)
girth measurements (those are NOT coming online! :))
skin fold analysis for body fat percentage (probably not that either!)
cardiovascular endurance (should be decent)
flexibility (should also be decent)
muscular strength & muscular endurance (again, decent)

Anyway, we shall see. The information is supposed to help you in designing an exercise program, and although I already get plenty of exercise, it just sounded kinda cool, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Off to work now...

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger