:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zaterdag 16 oktober 2004

My life has been turned into a perpetual state of "When My Financial Aid Comes In." It seems like that's my answer for every question beginning with 'when' these days, made worse by the fact that I do not have a specific date. "When are you going to order your winter jacket?" "When my financial aid comes in." "When will you have your 'emergency' money back at the level it should be?" "When my financial aid comes in." "When's our next linguistics exam?" "When my financial aid c... oh, wait..."

But really, I hate this state of limbo. Mostly for superficial reasons (like Dan Brown books and Bath & Body Works candles) but I really can't stand it. Some people will argue that you have to take the cost into account with everything you buy, and normally I would agree. I am not what could be called a 'big spender' or a 'shopaholic', not by any stretch of the imagination. My sister is further down that spectrum than I am, and even she doesn't really rank up there with the Clueless cast or anything. But I still think I should be able to just buy the occasional six-dollar paperback when the mood strikes me instead of having to put such a simple thing on hold Until My Financial Aid Comes In.

Also, my roommates C (who is leaving Monday) and P (who is new here) are having a ball going wild in the Gator Apparel store this week. P has a cute little zip-up jacket I'd love to have, and C just bought a newly designed sweatshirt. I'm dying for a couple of T-shirts, among them a "College of Liberal Arts and Sciences" one. (Yes, I am a nerd.) And then there's the iPod - a dream, a ways down the road. M with his hoity-toity full-time job wanted to buy it for me for Christmas (and one for himself, too), but I told him there was no way in hell I was going to let him spend that much money on me. (They cost even more there than here.) Anyway, but that non-necessary stuff obviously has to wait.

So then we move to the jacket I'm going to order before my NL Christmas to replace my two cheap nylon winter coats, neither of which I have ever been fully satisfied with. This coat has now gone on sale and you even get a free hat ($25 value) when you order. Crossing my fingers that the sale is still on when I reach When-My-Financial-Aid-Comes-In nirvana. It should be.

And then we get down to the nitty-gritty - rent and food. I am shopping as infrequently as possible and buying certain items on campus using my Gator1 card to avoid having to go to Publix, so that situation is relatively under control. But as for rent... I have already had to crack into my so-called 'emergency' money to book my NL ticket (otherwise I would have wound up paying twice as much for it When My Financial Aid Comes In), and November 1 is going to wipe me out the rest of that fund. Also, Mom and I struck a deal that I would make a few of the upcoming car payments (something I am this year thankfully NOT paying for as I have in the past, seeing as Mom will inherit the car when I leave... or else we'll sell it) and that we would call that 'even' for the cost of my LASIK next month. It's a very good deal. But if My Financial Aid Doesn't Come In before the first of the month, either the car company or the rental office is going to get shorted. Wanna take bets?

By the way, none of this is a bid for pity or donations. The money WILL come in eventually. I'm just sort of frustrated and looking for somewhere to dump it, and isn't that what a blog is for?

"And y'all come back real soon now!"

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger