:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 8 september 2004

Well, I picked up my minor form today... got approved to add my TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) minor. Not surprising, considering that after this semester I'll already have completed all the necessary requirements for it... just coincidentally. Nice, picking up an extra gold star for your transcript/resume which costs you no extra work... tee hee. :)

That class is turning out to be okay, by the way - TESL. I'm not usually one of the first ones to speak up in class, even if I know the answer, but for some reason I do in there. There are always a few kids in every class who are the 'talkers' - the ones who explain the group findings after being asked to work in groups, etc. - and that's never really been me, but in this class it is. The subject matter isn't all that interesting - it's not really a class I look forward to - but I like feeling like I know what I'm doing.

Felt like that again this morning, too - Serena, a girl from my LIN 3201 class, was sitting outside the classroom this morning with about half of her homework sheet wrong. We compared answers, since neither of us was feeling too confident, and it turned out I had almost everything right. I didn't know it until I saw her wrong answers and had to justify my own, but I did - only messed up on an IPA symbol and one of the voiced/unvoiced choices (turns out the 'th' in 'father' is a voiced sound - who knew?) :) She's in my other linguistics class too, 3460, and I feel really confident about that homework, even if it did take me forever. Actually looking forward to turning it in and discussing it tomorrow. I'm especially interested in what the teacher will think about my examples for Dutch - we all had to pick a 'project language' to study throughout the semester, and Dutch happens to be her native language. We had to find examples of prefixes, suffixes, infixes, and circumfixes (we don't really have those last two in English; an infix is sticking something into the middle of a word, like inpakken = ingepakt, and a circumfix is sticking stuff before and after a word, like maken = gemaakt). I think I did really well on that, and I want to impress her right from the start, since I'm starting to think I may not have been so smart to choose the teacher's native language for my project. :)

The clock strikes four, and Jess starts coughing. Very strange - I can go all day with barely a hack, and then I reach 16.00 and it starts up again. But this inhaler works wonders; I can actually get the crap UP now instead of just coughing and coughing and coughing with no progress. I was starting to lose my voice from it the other day.

I got fingerprinted today, too - if you work in child care, you always have to have a fingerprint background check - so I can finally turn that card in tomorrow at work and get that out of the way. I felt like a criminal. And they don't even look like 'real' fingerprints, the way they do it - they just mush your fingers all around to get every side and the end result is something like a smudgey black square. Oh well.

And we did DNA replication/transcription/translation today in anthropology, plus Mendelian genetics - my two favorite things in biology. Too bad we sort of skimmed over them quickly - it's only a 2000-level class and not even really biology-oriented, so I understand, but still. I think I'll go look them up on the Internet and refresh my memory. That stuff always interested me.

And as long as I seem to be talking about every single one of my classes, I may as well add swimming and astronomy. We didn't swim this morning - the chemicals in the pool were all out of whack from so much rain - so that really sucked. The pool here is closed too, and I really want to swim, because I exercised a lot yesterday, including push-ups, and my shoulders are pretty sore. And as for astronomy... there's a quiz tomorrow... not much else to mention.

Leigh Ann, my study-abroad advisor, finally has a faxed copy of my transcript from Utrecht and a message that the original is on its way. She's already sent the UF equivalency sheets to Dr. Matheny, my academic advisor, so he can fill them out (saying what UF course I should get credit for for each of the overseas courses) and turn them in. They both said they'd ask that I be given priority in processing, and Leigh Ann added that even if the Boswell grades didn't come with the others, that she'd still turn the Utrecht ones in so that I'd at least be marked down for doing *something*. I've really got to send the two of them thank-you cards or something... they've done so much for me over the last couple years. Anybody who says UF is too big and that you get treated like a number - just talk to one of these people for five minutes and you'll know that's not true. Anyway, I e-mailed them both all the information I have about the Utrecht course names, the UF equivalents we had agreed upon, and the grades (the ones I remember) that I got. It's not like my word counts for anything here, but still, that way, all the information is in one place and we all have something to check against.

Anyway, after looking at all those course numbers, I've pretty much got a handle on what I'm going to take next semester, and it rocks. Check this out:

LIN 4656 Gender and Language
LIN 4930 The Brain and Language
LIN 4127 Old English
MAC 1105 College Algebra

Yes, one last GE requirement - a math. Sigh. But those other three are so cool - I mean, Old English?? The moment when I knew I was going to like Dr. Renfroe, my high school English teacher, was when she read us a poem in Old English. I thought - OK, anybody who can do that must be a really cool person. And I was right. And now I'll be able to do it myself! So cool! And that 'Brain and Language' class is given by the same professor whom I have now for linguistics, the Dutch one. And that's only 12 credits, so I have plenty of room for a couple of sports or maybe one last language, something exotic like Swahili or Arabic. I don't think I'm going to do a thesis; I'll be graduating with high honors anyway as long as my GPA comes up 0.07 points (which it definitely will after those abroad grades come in). Oh well, I have plenty of time to decide that; I'm still planning to take the fourth year and just study abroad in NL again, and you don't have to come up with a thesis idea until then, so...

Guess this is long enough. :) Oh well, you guys know me, every once in a while my head just gets too full and I have to set it all down. Anyway, that's it for now. Tallyho!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger