:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 6 september 2004

I’m writing this at 12.22 on Monday – not sure when I’ll be able to post it, but we’ll see. We have no cable at the moment (and thus no Internet), but our power hasn’t gone out – it’s been flickering, but it hasn’t gone completely out. I just talked to Mom and she says their power’s been out since 16.00 yesterday, that a tree fell on a power line up by my old elementary school and that the whole neighborhood is out. I guess we’ve been lucky. There’s still stuff blowing around, but there’s that atmosphere that’s unique to the aftermath of a hurricane – it’s light but not sunny, cool but not cold, water everywhere… hard to explain unless you’ve felt it yourself, but anyway, it means it’s almost over. Charlotte came in this morning full of news about the damage (she and the Germans went to Charleston after all) and we stepped outside and checked the courtyard. It’s not as flooded as it was yesterday, but the pool is full of leaves and the ground is covered in tree debris. And it’s still raining; I hear it tapping my window. But we all survived. (There was a man in the last hurricane who stepped outside to smoke and had a tree fall on him. Given my contempt for smoking, I could only laugh.)

Still haven’t finished that homework (“Can click have phonation?” Anybody know?), but I don’t think it matters right now, since Charlotte just told us that school’s canceled tomorrow, too. I would go to Jacksonville, but (a) they haven’t even got power, and (b) I don’t really want to waste the gas. So it looks like another day of sitting in the apartment… blah. I like school and I wish it were on. I want to go back to the health center and tell them that the antibiotics didn’t work, I want to get my fingerprint card filled out for work, I want to pick up my minor form, and I want to turn in my LIN 3460 assignment, which I worked long and hard on and finally finished (8 typed pages!). I can’t do any of those things unless school is open. The only good thing about it is that we’ll postpone the astronomy pop quiz (that we all already know about), but that’s no problem; I could do it with my eyes closed. (If it were a LIN 3201 quiz, now...)

Anyway, so since there’s no cable, there’s nothing on TV and no Internet. So Renate and I have been sitting downstairs watching movie after movie. We were just finishing Ice Age as Charlotte walked in. She and the Germans just went back out to return their rental car, and I came upstairs to call home and check the damage.

Also, I have to call work and see if they’re open tomorrow. Maybe they lost power too.

Closing note: can I please have my financial aid??????

(Update: It's almost 15.00 and the cable is back. Charlotte and Renate and I were watching Shrek, and when it was over, the cable was back on. Yay!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Once again, checking the Comments status...

7/9/04 02:50  

Een reactie posten

<< Home

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger