:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

dinsdag 28 september 2004

Hello from the George C. Smathers Library. Because... we have no power. Yes, that's right, on day four. I called up GRU this morning and asked them where their guys would be working, and they told me, "Be prepared for a MINIMUM of seven days without power." Apparently Ivan has decimated Louisiana and Jeanne has moved on to the Carolinas, so all the truck crews who came over to help us with Frances and Ivan couldn't come this time. So we're bringing people in from California and Canada, yes Canada, but as you can imagine, that's a slow process. Bottom line: I'm reduced to using the campus computers for a while. Oh well, at least they're fast.

Although my computer is the number-one thing I miss, there are a lot of other inconveniences. It's not so bad during the day, but at night it's pitch black in that apartment because there are so few windows compared to in a house. We've been lighting candles and setting them (carefully) all over the place (like inside glasses and things) since that's pretty much the only way we can see. We're using Charlotte's bicycle lights for in the bathroom. Speaking of the bathroom, the fan doesn't run now either, so when you take a shower and dry off, you don't really get dried off - the moisture just settles right back down on your skin as if you hadn't done anything. Trying to wrestle a bra over my head was murder.

Not to mention all the food which is rotting in the refrigerator. I poured an entire gallon of milk into the sink today - nothing else to do with it. The apartment stinks, and I hope that by getting some of that food out of there, I'll have helped it. But this means that we can't really do any grocery shopping until the power comes back on - at least not for anything which involves cold or hot food - so we're reduced to SlimFast bars, NutriGrain bars, and eating out. Not a good situation for someone who STILL does not have her financial aid (although I actually was told today that it will probably be within the next two weeks).

Speaking of 'stinks' - my car decided that this would be a good time to start leaking. Actually, it had probably been doing that for a while, I realize now - but not to this degree. The floor on the passenger side of the car is SOAKED. No standing water, fortunately, but only just. Apparently there's a sunroof vent which runs all the way down the 'strut' on the front passenger side of the windshield, and that is apparently leaking. Charlotte got in the car yesterday and immediately said, "Whoa!" because her feet and purse were wet. So I went to the VW dealer here in Gainesville today, and what do you think I found? Three employees sitting around... in the dark. That's right: they had no power.

The mechanic was able to tell me what the problem probably was (which is how I knew the above), but they couldn't help me with no power. Since they're going to have to reschedule all those customers who got short-changed today and yesterday and over the weekend, I'm sure I won't a be a priority... which means it would probably be in my best interest to go to Jacksonville, where they've gotten the cleanup underway much faster and more efficiently than here, and get it serviced there. So tomorrow afternoon I'll make my way up there in my smelly car, leave it with my parents, and have them drive me back to G'ville early Thursday morning. I can deal without a car for a few days if I have to - I ride my bike to class and can take the bus to work.

Speaking of work, that's where I have to go now, and I'm still on campus, so I'd better get a move on. Maybe I'll walk into my apartment and find the lights blazing and the TV going full force... maybe...

Hey, a girl can dream.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger