:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zaterdag 18 september 2004

Blah. Why is my National Merit money not in yet, why are my eyelids drooping when it's only ten o'clock, and why do flights always cost so much more at Christmas?

The first time I took an international plane trip, in November 2002, when I was 18 and going to visit Linde in the Netherlands and Tara and Steph in Ireland, I somehow wound up on a Virgin Atlantic flight on the way back, the long jump from London Heathrow to Orlando. I have never had a better experience on a plane. A bright, colorful interior, bags of goodies on your seats, seatback TV screens with movies you actually want to watch, good food... just generally really, really good. I actually didn't want to get off the plane! I've always hoped that I'd wind up on another one of their flights, but it never happened, because I always use Expedia or Cheaptickets and go for the cheapest options available. And since I have a Frequent Flyer account with Delta, I usually go for them. Savings over comfort.

But tonight, just out of curiosity, I started to sniff around for the best deals for my flight at Christmas, and you know, I'm tired of sitting for nine hours in a boring blue seat with nothing to look at or amuse myself with. This December will mark my ninth and tenth hops across the pond in the space of two years, and I'm starting to think the extra hundred bucks might be worth it, for the sake of my sanity. The problem is, they don't fly to Amsterdam - London is the closest - so I'd have to book another flight on the side for that short jump. (But EasyJet is ridiculously cheap...) The problem is, the total for this little jaunt would be about $750 - about $200 more than I could probably get it for if I took the cheap route again. So my question is - is it worth it? Are the colors and TVs and goody bags worth $200 to me?

I think I'll ignore that question and just hope the airline starts running a special. :) (They do London specials pretty often, actually, so I might get lucky.)

As for today, I didn't do all that much, but I did ride my bike to the Oaks Mall. Round-trip, that is (to the best of my reckoning) ten miles or so, maybe a bit further, and with lots of hills. So it was a nice workout. Even if my legs feel curiously weak now. (That's my body's new thing - I'm apparently too well-conditioned to feel muscular pain anymore, so I just get 'limp' when I've been using a particular muscle group for a long time or very intensely.)

Anyway, I didn't buy anything major, just a candle from Bath and Body Works. It's one of those 'travel candles', which means it comes in a little metal container with a lid, which is nice. I had one already, Orange Ginger, and I liked it so much that I went back to see if they had any other nice ones. This one is pumpkin-scented, which doesn't sound like it would be all that appealing, but it smells amazing - it's a spicy autumn-smell. But it's a seasonal line, so I may have to get a couple more to tide me over through the non-fall parts of the year, haha.

Anyway, Renate and I were just watching The Girl Next Door, but then her friend Danny came over and so we paused it. He's been here for an hour and I've been sitting up here on the computer, browsing flights for lack of motivation to start my homework. (Well, actually, to continue my homework... it's already well started.) I hope he leaves soon; it was a cute movie so far.

Oh, and for those who don't know, we got a new roommate - Pia from Finland. (Or is it Piia?) She switched with Sofia (our fourth roommate who basically just used her room as storage space) and moved in here because her roommates were being too loud and she couldn't get any sleep. Anyway, she's very sweet; it's nice having someone here who's actually here some of the time. Renate is always gone. Charlotte is here pretty often, but she's leaving in a month.

Anyway... I think I'll go downstairs, eat my last Popsicle, and wait for Danny to leave... haha...

Jaguars play Denver tomorrow - keep your fingers crossed!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger