:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 23 juli 2004

Remember to set your screen resolution to 1024 x 768 or higher if you want this page to appear like it's supposed to. If you don't see a sidebar on the right, change your resolution. I'm going to play around with ways to fix that, but I can't do it till I'm home.

I'm in the lodge now - Lindsey, an old friend of mine, is on phone duty tonight, so she's letting me use the awesome fast computer (since the counselor computers are broken YET AGAIN!!!). We're not really supposed to be allowed to do that, but I've been here so long that a lot of people will make exceptions for me, because they know me and like me and know that I'm essentially harmless. No, really, I am. :)

Everybody cross your fingers that Martin gets the house he wants!!! He's second in line, and it's not certain whether or not the woman ahead of him is going to take it or not. We'll see...

There was ANOTHER Mountain Beach Party today, the second one in three days. For those who don't know, a Mountain Beach Party is when Ton-A-Wandah (check the site here) gets together with a boys' camp like Pinnacle or Carolina and spends the afternoon swimming, rock climbing, and doing other fun stuff. Then we have a cookout and then a dance. Everyone loves it except for the lifeguards; the other counselors get to 'play' while we have to work.

Anyway, so we had one Wednesday with Camp Carolina (at their camp) and then one today with Camp Pinnacle (at our camp). Luckily, I was off on a short night, so I lifeguarded for three hours (felt sick by the end, because of the sun) and then got to leave. I had a panini at Atlanta Bread Company and white chocolate mousse-flavored frozen yogurt at TCBY (my addiction) and I also went to the Asheville Mall and bought a new bra (this is a major achievement, for those who don't know the frustration and multiple dressing rooms which I usually endure for such a mission!). And now I'm on the computer.

I thought I'd tell a little about my girls, since I've been talking about them so much lately. There are ten of them, as I said - three new and seven old. The cabin is also rather 'split' - as I phrased it to a friend the other day, some of them are just thirteen-year-old girls and some of them are thirteen-year-old girls!!! If you know what I mean. :)

I'll go by bed order, so as to avoid being biased:

Ellen - half Cuban and raised bilingual; speaks Spanish to me when she remembers. Tall and skinny, with big, serious, dark eyes. If you need an ego boost, a massage, or a favor, she's your girl. The sweet, sensitive type, she's one who'll grow up to watch old black-and-white movies on TV and cry for the fun of it.

Ashley - one of my girls from last year; tall, blue-eyed, and freckled, with braces and reddish brown hair. Quiet, but can just as easily turn around and be silly, especially with Caitlin. One of the girls you never really notice, one way or the other.

Caitlin - Ashley's best friend; was also in my cabin last year. Short and freckled with squinty blue eyes which give her a perpetual sleepy look. Worries a lot about what others think of her and often says dopey things purely to make people laugh. Smarter than she looks, though; impression is that there's a lot going on inside her head which the world never sees.

Sarah T. - One of the quiet ones who blends in; pale and blue-eyed with glasses and white-blond hair. Very smart. Comes from a large blended family and is sometimes depressed and often silent, yet gets along well with everyone in the cabin. One of the ones who always does what the counselors want without even being told, yet somehow never makes an impression.

Emery - No, not last session's Emery, thank goodness. The younger sister of a girl I've had for the past two years; she's sturdy, blond and brown-eyed with a ready smile. Blends in and never gets yelled at, yet fits in better with the 'popular' girls in the cabin than the 'normal' ones. Impression is that I haven't seen her real personality yet.

Alex - Second-year camper with dark eyes, black hair and glasses. Smiles a lot, yet is definitely one of the 'leaders' of the 'popular' side of the cabin. Knows how to alternately command and avoid attention as it suits her. A 'dangerous' one; not a bad kid, but flies under the radar and is not above lying.

Mary - Alex's cohort, a first-year camper. First impression was of a shy girl; have now been proven wrong. Is very pretty with curly blond hair and good proportions; the problem is that she knows it. Otherwise, ditto Alex's profile.

Katie - Another new girl; small and pretty with thick brown hair and hazel eyes. Interested in everything, asks lots of questions. Always in high gear; always wants to be included and do whatever everyone else is doing; have never yet seen her reading or writing quietly as the other girls do; always talking. Can sometimes get annoying in her earnestness (is also sometimes spacey), but a good kid at heart.

Shelby - My third and final new camper; she's not an attractive girl but nonetheless is included by the others. Has adjusted amazingly fast and well to being here (like the other new girls). Doesn't talk much, but when she does, it's interesting. A lot going on under the surface.

Sarah H. - My favorite of the bunch (yeah, she's taken it over from Ellen...); a pale, slightly chubby redhead who hates the fact that her body has matured early. Is always smiling and laughing with the other and can be very creative when given the chance. Straightforward, no secrets; what you see is what you get. Very sweet kid.

Okay... time for bed now. Yawn...

(P.S. Did anyone notice I changed the time format back to American time? And Robin, did you notice I added your link? Am I good tonight or WHAT? :) How about you guys return the favor by changing your links to say 'eye of the storm' instead of any of the other names? I promise I'll keep this one for a while!)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger