:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

donderdag 17 juni 2004

Can you take off the keys to laptops? I’ve noticed recently that there’s a lot of junk down in there – hair and dust and a few crumbs – and I’d like to remedy that situation…

I’ve been busy helping Robin with her blog for the past couple of days; check it out if you have some free time.

I’m listening to Jimmy Buffett to put me in the Florida mood, haha... is he touring this year?

I’ve got to e-mail Linde and see if we’re still going to the beach tomorrow; they’re predicting storms and lower temperatures.

Martin and I went to CenterParcs yesterday to swim – they’ve got slides and a wave pool and a ‘wildwaterbaan’ where you get swept along all kinds of slopes and bumps and then land in a whirlpool. That’s the coolest thing there, even though I hurt some different part of my body every time I do it. :) Yesterday it was my hand; I was swimming away from M, who was chasing me, and we were in a dark cavelike place, plus I had my goggles with the sun protection on, so I couldn’t see anything at all, and I swam into a wall and scraped up the back of my hand. M laughed for about ten minutes.

I wonder how much extra I’m going to have to pay on Monday? Mom, did they count that scooter box as a piece of luggage when you guys came, or was that in some other category? I hope I run into some other people at Schiphol who are going to Jacksonville, haha – then I can see if I can con them into checking one or both of my travel backpacks for me.

It’s hard to adjust to going back home. I think I’m going to have a harder time ‘fitting in’ in America than I ever did before. It’s not just that I’ve learned new ways of thinking and new ways of life, but that I have in many respects lost the old ones. I’m sure it’ll come back fast, but it’s strange.

Plus, leaving just sucks. Next week is the finale of GTST, for example, and I’m going to miss it. That’s a very small thing, but it’s just an example. Life is moving on, the Dutch world keeps turning, and I’m ‘stopping’. Going home isn’t all bad – I get to go to camp, I get a new cell phone, I’ll get my car back, I have a new job, I get to do a bunch of new classes, I can look for a UF basketball league, I can see my baby second cousin (that’s what he is, isn’t he? The son of my cousin?) whom I’ve not yet seen, my aunt and uncle and cousins will be in their new house in Jacksonville, I’ll of course see my own family again... yes, there are lots of reasons to be glad about going back. And I’m not as torn up about it as one might expect. But I’m going to miss Martin and all my other friends terribly, and I’m really going to miss the free, open attitude of this country. As I’ve said before, I know not everything here is perfect and not everything there is horrible, but half the people of America are walking around with sticks up their asses, and it drives me nuts.

Martin’s at work now, and his sweaty, dirty parents just got back from a bike trip to work in their garden (it’s not usually possible to have a ‘real’ garden in your backyard here, so they have a plot in a ‘group garden’ about twenty minutes away). He’ll be back around nine, then tomorrow I go to the beach with Linde (going to SMS her as soon as I’m done here...), then Saturday Alette picks up my bed and I come back to Emmen, then I go back to Utrecht late on Sunday and Linde and I take the car to pick up my suitcases from Rheyngaerde, and then we wake up early Monday morning and I go to Schiphol... and sit for nine hours in a plane... and go home.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger