:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 3 mei 2004

So Boris won Idols! He deserved it - he has an amazing voice, undoubtedly capable of more than Maud - but still, a part of me would have liked to see her win. The thing I liked about her was that she was so personable and yet still down-to-earth and relaxed about the 'game' of the show... she seemed 'real', and Boris never really reacted to the crowd or anything very strongly - he stayed serious, and seemed like he was always 'calculating' and taking it all very seriously. Who knows, maybe he was. But still, I think Maud has more of the 'Idol personality'.

(Note: I agree with the jury 100% - those two should just build a career as a duo! If you didn't see their duet of 'It Takes Two', go download it - really fantastic! I thought it was the best thing all night.)

I came back from Emmen on Sunday, got struck with the idea to turn my weblog into a book (thanks to Lotte for all the ideas), and have basically been writing ever since, pasting in all kinds of old blog entries and pieces of chats and other multimedia. I had 50 'loose' pages, not really flowing, then had the convo with Lotte and started over, and now it's down to 35, and much 'tighter'. We'll see if I ever finish it. Usually I abandon projects like this halfway through, but with this I have the idea that I'm actually going to finish it, even if there's no publisher crazy enough to want it... Anyway, I'm planning to write it and then let it sit for a week or two, then read it again... that way it's all 'new' and I have a better viewpoint for what flows and what doesn't, what's interesting and what's not, etc. If anyone has ideas for an actual plotline instead of just a bunch of descriptions, please let me know. I'm working on something, but it's weak. (Why do I have the persistent feeling that Stacker is going to comment with a bright idea?... LOL!)

And yes, I know it's rather weird that I just all of a sudden go, "Oh yeah, I'm writing a book," but it's something I've always wanted to do - just never did, because when I write, I just write open-ended short stories three or four pages long that never go any further. But for some reason, while sitting in the train with Martin on the way to Zwolle, it hit me that I already have all the material, I just need to stick it together in a comprehensive and somewhat interesting way. So I'm working on it.

By the way, I've 'afgesproken' with Elske (student in Leeuwarden) to meet in Zwolle on Friday and exchange the Marco tickets. So it looks like I am really 100% for sure going on the 9th. (Linde, Alette, do you guys hear that? I get to go with you!) However, Lotte informed me the other day that she was really only going for my sake, and wasn't really a Marco fan... so I decided to take Martin instead. However, there's a big chance he won't be able to get out of work. David, if he can't, you are still second on the list... I know you told me (a long time ago) that you would probably have to work, but I know that you really are a fan and would think it's worth the 60 euro you'll be paying me, haha. :) Anyway, Tristan and Pauline would be the next two on the list, but Lotte, don't fill up your calendar yet, because believe it or not, there's a big chance that none of these people will come through... great friends, eh? ;)

So I spent most of Sunday and today writing, but then around 17.30 Lotte popped up on MSN and said she felt like making tapas and did I want to come over for dinner? So I finally got out of my pajamas (LOL) and went, and we checked out some Spanish cookbooks, then went to the grocery store across the street and got all the fixings for tacos. Lekkerrrr! So we ate those - making a big mess in the process, of course - then washed the dishes, then ate dessert and had coffee while watching GTST. (Someone please explain to me why, if there's nothing wrong with Charlie's legs, why the #@$% she can't walk?!)

'Extreme Makeover' came on after that, and so, being girls, we got to talking about what we'd want changed if we were on the show. At first we both just said liposuction (stomach and under the chin), but we joked that 'you can't get on the show unless you REALLY need some work!' and so we started making up more stuff - half-joking, half serious. She decided she wanted breast augmentation, so I said I wanted breast reduction, and then she said she wanted her teeth fixed, and I said I wanted Lasik for my eyes, and it went on and on, right down to permanent hair removal. We even made a list of what we wanted done (competing to see who had the most) and then went to the website to check out the requirements. (Neither of us could do it even if we wanted to - Lotte's not an American citizen and I have a family member who works for an affiliate of Walt Disney... at least I think I do... Dad, Comcast and Disney have just joined up, haven't they?) Anyway, it was all pretty much just a joke, but we were rolling around laughing.

But you know... I realized there wasn't all that much I'd really want changed. The chip in my tooth will get fixed eventually - my orthodontist is a perfectionist - and so will my eyes, at least if I have anything to say about it - my eyes are so incredibly bad that I'm sure my insurance would at least consider paying. I wouldn't want to change anything on my face - happy with that as it is. And a little more exercise is a lot better alternative than liposuction... hahaha! We both eventually agreed on that... so then we started surfing the net for fat camps! (While watching a show about transsexuals...) As you can see, it was 'one of those evenings'... but a lot of fun.

Tomorrow: lecture at 13u, werkcollege at 16.30, and the Anne Frank movie on TV at 20.05
Wednesday: riding lesson at 20.30
Thursday: Lotte's and my long-planned shopping spree!
Friday: class at 15u, meet Elske in Zwolle at 18.40 to exchange the tickets, then going to Emmen
Saturday: in Emmen (and happy 23rd birthday to David!)
Sunday: going to Raalte (at least that's the plan now) and then to Utrecht with D (in the car)... he'll finally get his Starbucks
Monday: class
Tuesday: PRESENTATION about 'het meisjesboek'... (ben schijtnerveus!)

...and that's as far as I know right now.

And you may all interpret this however you care to, but here is the song lyric of the moment - Phil Collins' "One More Night".

I know there'll never be a time you'll ever feel the same
And I know it's only words
But if you change your mind you know that I'll be here
And maybe we both can learn...

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger