:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

vrijdag 23 april 2004

Grrrrrrr. Jess is disappointed and mad. About two different things.

Okay, here goes.

Linde and Alette and Samantha were planning to come back to Florida with me when I went home - we had all kinds of plans, like a Florida tour, a little road trip up to camp, a visit to Disney World... all that. My parents love Linde and the feeling is mutual, so they were all going to stay with me. Then they'd go home, I'd have a week or two to get everything organized, and then Martin would come.

Well, the girls aren't coming.

We knew Samantha was a long shot - financial reasons - and sure enough, she can't go. But Alette has an internship starting 1 July which she can't take two weeks off from, so she can't go either. And Linde, my last hope, has the opportunity to go to South Africa in February 2005 with her school. It's a 4-month program and it only costs E2800 - that includes the flight and three meals a day. She's always wanted to go there, and she can see other friends of ours from camp whom neither of us have seen for two years. So I can't be mad - especially since her new idea is for me and Alette to come visit her there in May or June - but I am disappointed.

As for the 'mad' part, that's about plane tickets. Now that they're not coming, I'm free to book my own ticket. School ends in early July and Martin's birthday is on the 20th, so I thought I'd leave around the 22nd or 23rd. But I've checked every site I know, and even asked Tristan for some new ones, and the absolute lowest rate I found was E848 - which is, with the current exchange rate, about $1000. Normally, it's $500 or a little over. I didn't know prices went up so high in the summer. Oh, I knew they went up, but not so-high-as-to-almost-challenge-your-credit-card-limit up. Anyway, so I have no idea how I'm going to get home. We'll end up paying it, of course - not even I am willing to volunteer to swim that far - but that SUCKS. And if it stays that high, Martin's going to have trouble getting over to visit me, too. BAH!!!

I started packing today - just the stuff I don't need anymore - to get an idea of how much stuff I'm going to have, and would you believe that my big suitcase is already almost full? Even with the SpaceSaver bags. I thought I'd done a pretty good job of keeping the 'new stuff' to a minimum, but apparently not! You can't even see a difference in my room. I'm going to leave behind a lot of stuff - my old tennis shoes, my bedding - but still. I've got a little room left in the big suitcase, and then two large travel backpacks, plus my carryon backpack with the indispensibles. And I don't even think that's going to be enough.

And did I mention that the girls were supposed to take some of my luggage as theirs, so that I'd meet the weight limit? Well, there goes that theory. I can just see myself trying to lug all that stuff around Schiphol on my own. And not only that, but I'll wind up paying extra, too. Three bags and a scooter to check, and then a carryon bag. For one person. Well, yes, it was for a year. But still.

A certain person is now preaching at me for being disappointed that the girls aren't coming, saying (translated) that I can waste my time with tons of plans but that that will never ultimately lead to happiness. Shut up. I'm allowed to be disappointed. I was really looking forward to that. I just need a hug. That and some money. I have just enough to pay my last month of rent and pay for groceries and maybe one or two more phone bills. Why hasn't Wim e-mailed me about another lesson? And why haven't those translating people returned my e-mails about jobs? I want to go home so I can finally WORK instead of having to be this pathetic little girl begging her family for money! Liselotte's going to use my other Marco ticket (at least, that was the plan, but things have certainly been changing lately, haven't they?!) and I'll get E60 from that, but after that I don't see any other income coming (pun)... I just transferred the last of my National Merit money over so that I can pay my rent on Monday. Oh no, and I promised Faith I'd meet her in Paris... there goes another E150...

Oh, and to add to the frustration: I have to leave my apartment on 30 June. I know Martin says I can stay with him for the full three weeks after that, but I was raised to know how long is too long to impose on people, and I'm not going to do that to his parents for longer than a week or so. Anybody else out there want to offer me a bed for a few days this summer? *makes puppy eyes*

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger