:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

maandag 19 april 2004

Does anyone have experience with bikini waxing, and would you recommend it? I'm getting really irritated with shaving all the time (and yes, that pun was most definitely intended).

Why is it that on days when I already have a lot going on, I manage to be the most productive? Classes started again today, but I only had one, Utrecht in the Middle Ages. Scott thinks the teacher is flaky (he's already had her for two classes), but I rather like her. Emmeline, my teacher from last block, talked to us the same way she would talk to a wall - as if someone had just pressed the Play button. Quirine (yes, that is her name, and not a new cough medicine) asks questions and engages us, even if it's not the most interesting subject in the world. And I need that, otherwise I zone out. She does it perfectly - she addresses the whole class, not picking out any one person, and then if no one answers (whether out of not wanting to or truly not knowing), she changes the question and rephrases it and uses metaphors and examples until something becomes so obvious that someone just has to answer it. I'm not saying the class is the most interesting one I've ever had (that honor would go to Mr. Warren in 6th grade), but her technique is perfect. Ann-Cristin was writing little notes to me the whole time about how she thought she was going to hate the class, but I don't think I will.

We did have an assignment on the first day, due tomorrow, yes, that's true, but it was only 500 words and it was not academic in any way - talking about our first impressions of the Middle Ages. I've already finished it, but the ink cartridge is still empty (I thought Scott would have fixed that by now) so I had to then hand-copy it. Bah. But I was proud of a certain bit of it - the same sort of 'writing with imagery' that made Mrs. Mackey in 9th grade think I was some sort of a genuis (until we got to the 'real work' kind of essays... she was then disillusioned... haha...) anyway, here it is: [...] the first image I see in my head is, to put it simply, a crowded one. I picture crowded streets with makeshift vendor stalls and customers in dirty clothing, packed closely together. I see low wooden buildings, some of which are dark taverns where men with missing teeth drink mugs of beer and devour big turkey legs. And then there’s the other end of the spectrum; I can also visualize knights in crude metal outfits with long swords, and kings in big gray castles with roofs like jagged teeth, like I used to draw as a little girl.

Not as good as that imagery essay in ninth grade, but then again, that wasn't the point, now was it?

Anyway, moving on. Turns out about half the class is Dutch. I haven't talked to any of them yet, but when the teacher asked if any of us non-Dutch kids spoke Dutch, I was the only one to raise my hand. Scott (rightfully) kept his hand down, even though he was in my class at UF and has done some Boswell here, so I know he can handle himself in the language, at least to some extent... but he could never claim to be able to 'really speak' it.

Anyway, so after class, Ann-Cristin and I went to buy the book (a really little one, only 7 euro... the reader's not available until Thursday) at Broese, and I ended up buying two other books too.. both in Dutch. Upon checking, I realized they were both originally in English, but I couldn't find the English versions and I really wanted something new to read. The teacher teased me by saying that I could buy the Dutch version of the book, and I actually almost did, but unfortunately Broese didn't have it... so I did the sensible thing and went with English.

We were both starving, so we went over to V&D and got sandwiches - roomkaas (sort of like cream cheese, Americans), chives, herbs, and lettuce on a roll. Might not sound so great, but trust me, it was. Then we went wandering through the store. Koninginnedag - Queen's Day - is on the 30th, so there were all sorts of orange things and Dutch-flag things on display... so we each bought a (cheap) Dutch flag on a stick, and Ann-Cristin bought an orange shirt while I opted for two new photo frames and two postcards which I couldn't resist (one of a cresting wave, one an extreme close-up of a deep red rose). I now have 4 photos in frames:

+ the one of me and Catie from three years ago (yes dear sister, that one which you hate and I love)
+ my favorite picture of Martin (you guys have got to see this when I get access to a scanner, he's tipping his sunglasses down so you can see his eyes and I swear that pic could be in Seventeen or something... LOL...)
+ the one of Joy, Katie, Linde, and me lying on the beach in Jacksonville, from summer 2002... I love that picture
+ and one of me and Martin on the boat on Tenerife last week.

Now I just need one more, for the pic of me and Linde on the boat in Amsterdam. I love that picture too. I don't know why, but if she's in the picture, both of us always look really, really good. Oh, and maybe that black-and-white photo of the four of us in front of the house... and Mom, I still want a family photo!!!...

Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, after the buying spree, I rode my bike home (a man saw the flag sticking out of my bag and called, "Koninginnedag nu al vierend?" [Already celebrating Queen's Day?] or something like that... I had headphones on... I just laughed and said, "Nee, nog niet!" [No, not yet!]...) and I actually did the wash. How awesome am I? But the door got jammed and wouldn't open, so ALL my clothes were stuck in the washing machine behind a door that wouldn't open. Two other women started helping me, and we eventually had to unplug the machine. But I did get my clothes.

Then I cleaned off my desk, because when you have nice photos in frames, you can't have clutter around them. So two of the pix are on my desk, and the two postcards are propped up here, too.

And then I started making a list of the stuff I have to take to La Mancha in August. I've got to do a major sort-through in my room - once again weeding out books (3 categories: take along, save for own kids, and take to BookMine to trade in) and clothes (categories: take along, give to Catie, give to Faith [friend], and take to Goodwill) and all my other stuff. I am planning to do a MAJOR clothes cut-down. The problem is that Linde and Alette will be along, if everything works out, and probably Samantha too. They'll leave around 6 August and then Martin will arrive not long after that. Time crunch! But I'll manage; I always do. I'm supposed to move into La Mancha on the 16th, or at least that's what I put on the application, but I bet I could push for a little earlier if I needed to. I think I can take everything in the Beetle in one trip, except maybe my bicycle. It fits in there, I know from experience, but I don't know if everything else would fit around it. Maybe I'll enlist Mom's help with the van.

I have had two realizations today, both disturbingly late. One, that I forgot Tristan's birthday, which was 25 March. (Yes, I have already apologized profusely.) I saw something in the V&D today that made me think of him, and that's when I realized it. (Once again, SO SORRY!!!) And two, that John hasn't been online in more than a month (MSN Plus has the technology to tell me this), when he is usually there at least 16 hours out of every 24. And John, I've already e-mailed you, but I'm saying it again... I know your life hasn't been especially stress-free and problem-free lately, and I'm getting kinda worried - a month is unheard of for you - so please let me hear from you, okay?

Tomorrow I have a seminar for Utrecht in the Middle Ages from 11.00 to 13.00, and then at 15.00 I have my first class of Children's Literature. I still don't know whether that class will be taught in English or Dutch and whether the books we'll read will be English or Dutch. But it's the last block and I wanted to give myself a challenge.

I did some more 'research' into the master's program in Utrecht, and made a major discovery - something new. They now have the absolute best program I could possibly want - just developed, working together with the University of Amsterdam; nobody's even done it yet. The first class will begin in September 2004; I'll start in September 2005 if everything works out like I want it to. I know I said I would keep my options open about staying in America, and I am still interested in the paramedic course, but this is just so perfect!!! The one-year Translation master program that I wanted to follow now has a second option, a two-year version of the program. The first year would be basically the same as the one-year program - general stuff - and then in the second year, emphasis is placed on learning a third language to a 'capable' degree, if not fluent (that would obviously be Spanish for me) and then using English, Dutch, and that third language to specialize in one of three areas: professional translation, literary translation, or interpreting. Those ALL sound awesome!!! That's unheard of in America, a master's program specifically to teach you to be an interpreter. That opens the option up for me again, and since there'll be a focus on Spanish too, that makes it just PERFECT! PLUS, since I'm international and not eligible for the government grants that the Dutch students get, there's a huge possibility that I can get a 10,000 euro scholarship for every year that I do the program. (And the costs are only 4500 per year.) Can you be in love with a master's program? LOL!

Anyway, the reason I started looking at all that was because Martin and I have been talking (AGAIN) about what we're going to do... he's in the process of trying to move out, but there's a lot of instability and uncertainty in NS (the train system) right now - there's even a possibility that they will install 'ports' in many of the stations in the next few years and conductors would then serve no purpose anymore. So his situation is uncertain, and so is mine since I have no idea what I'll be doing for work and where I'll be doing it after I finish at UU. Anyway, the choices for him are Emmen, where his parents live (and where he still lives) and Zwolle, a city about an hour away. Zwolle is a bigger city with (obviously) more job possibilities, but Emmen is far better to live in because of the prices - you can get an incredible house for 150,000 euro, and in Zwolle that's just a 'rijtjeshuis'... one of the houses that stands connected to other houses. And to rent, the waiting list is three years long... and sadly, that's not a joke.

So it looks like it's going to be Emmen. I balked at first, despite the great place we could get (yeah, we, because obviously if we're still together when I go back to the country, I'll probably be living with him), and the job possibilities are not so great there for either of us - not impossible, but Zwolle is still better. But then I remembered that if I'm living with him, I will get a train pass to ride for free. That's not a discount, that's FREE, and nine out of ten times, the bus drivers will let you on with it too (even though they're not supposed to). So for school I would have about a two-hour trip to Utrecht, but it wouldn't be every day... and I hate to admit it, but for me, that would actually be a good thing, because I have never been someone who can study at home. I can write papers, as long as I can use the computer (pen and paper just don't do it for me), but actually sitting down and hitting the books, no. However, I have learned that I can focus in the train. I'm not sure why that is, but for me, home is home and the outside world is where you work and study and do the 'important things'. So all that traveling might actually help me.

Anyway, and the other waaaay-long-term plan (this is still in the 'dreaming' stage, but we both still really like the idea) is to live in NL for a few years and save up some money (which would also be easier to do in Emmen - everything's cheaper there) and let Martin take an English course (LOL) and then move to America. In comparison to here, 'big' things like houses and cars are cheaper in the USA. So the 'dream' would be, live over here for a while and save as much money as possible (in Euros - also an advantage!) and then, when the time is right (if and when his train job falls through, etc.) then we'd move to America and take advantage of that exchange rate which is screwing me over this year. Haha.

Anyway, sorry, I am really in a digressing mood tonight. I think this is the longest entry I've ever posted.

Hey Dad, it's already your birthday here! Happy 49th!

Anyway, I'll wrap this up. I've already talked about tomorrow - school all day long. Then Wednesday I'm going to Emmen and I think we're going to go to Centerparcs to go swimming, YAY! And then I think Martin's mom might cut my hair - the little braids are falling out and she really can cut hair; she does the family's as well as some friends and neighbors, and she only charges 2 euro... haha! Thursday I'm free again, and Friday I have one class, Children's Literature. And this weekend I should get my Staatsexamen results in the mail, seeing as the #$%^&*@ site will STILL not load so that I can see them!!!

On the schedule for NEXT week (as in 25 April to 1 May)... Koninginnedag and the Idols finale! Boris is going to win, but I still hope Maud makes it to the final and not JK...

Oh - anyone looking for a good song: download "My Friend" by Julian Thomas. David sent it to me last night (he and I and Olga had a rather silly three-way chat on MSN) and now it's stuck in my head. How does he do that???

Okay, I am really going now and I promise not to ever write such a long entry again. :)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger