:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

dinsdag 27 april 2004

Do you guys see the dark gray sidebar and everything on this page like normal? Because I don't... it could just be my computer, but... somebody reassure me, ok?

Correction: "Should Be Sleepin'" is by Emerson Drive, not Rascal Flatts. Thanks, Cate - I wondered why I couldn't find it in my music files... well, I suppose when you have 10 gigs of music (almost 2800 files), it does get a little difficult... LOL...

Not much new. Utrecht in the Middle Ages is turning out to be more boring than I thought at first, but only the seminars. The lectures, when we have guest lecturers, are fine, but I hate the seminars. The Americans (Michael, Dylan, and Michelle) whom I mentioned earlier, are nice, and so are Keira and Ann-Cristin (from England and Norway) but the Dutch people in that class (except for two girls) are just plain weird. Hard to explain. But I bet that's the first time you guys have heard me say that...

But anyway, Jeugdliteratuur is just the opposite with the bad-seminars-good-lectures thing - the hoorcolleges are borrrrring, but in my werkgroep, our 'teacher' is like the Dutch equivalent of a TA - a nice girl from somewhere in the south of the country - and she speaks and writes much more clearly (despite the soft G, haha). Also, today, I found out that the other girl in my presentation group, Madeline, is from Aruba, and Dutch isn't her first language either (that would be Papamiento). So we had a lot to talk about. And I gained a lot of confidence from talking to her, because she's been here 4 years and even though she has a good grasp of the language, she still speaks with a very plain accent. Talking with her and hearing the comparison, I sounded to myself like a native. Anyway, so I'm thinking I'm not going to stand up and make a little apology for my Dutch before I start - not necessary. Just do it, Jess, and quit worrying. You've made a thousand presentations in your lifetime, this one just happens to be in another language. So pull it together. No big deal.

It's one of those weeks where I have so much in my planner that you just can't find a space to write. I've gotten a lot done, but I still have to:

order those books for Jeugdliteratuur
go to the library and copy the necessary articles for my presentation (and read the articles for next week's class)
do my Utrecht in the Middle Ages essay over again (long story)
go to the supermarket
get vitamins (those two things cannot necessarily be done in the same place; Edah does not sell vitamins)
e-mail some more translation bureaus
try to make contact with Faith about the Paris trip and figure out if I'll travel on the 10th or 11th of June
think about a topic for my final essay for Utrecht in the Middle Ages
give Irene (ticket girl) an ultimatum about the Marco tickets; I'm not just going to sit and wait much longer

...and... go horseback riding! Yes, that's right, I get to go horseback riding tomorrow night with ESN (Erasmus Student Network). I don't know if we'll actually get to do anything, but they've got an advanced group, so I signed up. Got to be at Parnassos tomorrow evening at 20.45 with my bike. (Darn it, I'll miss Charlie raving about Nick in GTST! And I'll miss the Idols herhaling - I missed the show on Saturday too. I know JK is out, but I wanted to see it...)

Speaking of Idols, Boris and Maud were at Stadsschouwburg in Utrecht yesterday. I didn't hear about it until I was already sitting in class - Michelle sat next to me and during the break she said, "What's going on over at the theater? There are tons of people outside on that big field, and two buses with Idols on them, and lots of cameras, and everybody was singing and clapping." When pressed, she recalled that there had been a name on each bus, and that the names were "maybe" Boris and Maud. But anyway, so I missed it, but I did go past there on my way home, just to check, and let me tell you... biking in Utrecht is always crazy when compared to, say, Emmen, but I have never bicycled in such a crazy mass of people before! I finally just followed a couple of other peoples' lead and left the path and started riding in the street, passing everyone, because there were all these eleven- and twelve-year-old girls on the backs of each other's bikes, waving 'fan scarves' and yelling and cheering.

Please vote on my book list - I need to figure out what the third book report will be. I'm leaning towards The Indian in the Cupboard, but we'll see.

Going to order those books now...

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger