:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

zondag 25 april 2004

Big big props to "Stacker" for fixing my computer yesterday! LOL! And he wasn't even in the room... gotta love technology... Anyway, the virus is gone and so are those annoying ad bars. WOOHOO!

After my candle incident yesterday (don't ask), I decided to redirect my boredom in a more constructive direction - rearranging my room. I admit that the other setup was probably better, but hey, I was bored. And I threw a bunch of stuff out - those bike pumps that didn't work, the split boards from when I broke my bed (Peter, do you still want it when I leave?), two shoe boxes, etc. Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm starting to think that the available suitcase room might just possibly be enough after all.

But I have to add to the masses of junk yet again, because I have to read and report on three childrens' books for my Jeugdliteratuur class. One has to be awarded the Gouden Zoen, another must be recognized by the Jonge Jury, and the third is our own choice. For a book to get the Gouden Zoen, it must be originally written in Dutch, so that one's probably going to be the 2004 recognized book, Lopen voor je leven, just because it sounds reasonably interesting. The Jonge Jury can recognize books that were originally in English - I haven't found one yet that I like, but I'm still looking, because it would go twenty times faster if I could read the book in English. If I can't find one, I'll fall back on something from Carry Slee (Dutch) - a lot of her books have been recognized and look interesting, the kind of death-and-dying and/or serious-teenage-problems books that Mom always teases me about liking.

(Note: this Dutch-English translation thing can be really weird at times. I kept hearing people talk about this book they'd loved so much, 4 vriendinnen, 1 spijkerbroek, so I thought I'd check it out. What should pop up but the cover of a book I have at home, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Same book! Wonder why they did the title so differently? To make it simpler, I guess...)

Anyway, the third book is my choice and that will almost definitely be an English book, because I have a ton of old favorites and why would I read something new in Dutch, which would take a million years, when I have so many good options already? I couldn't think of any of them, but then I did a search on Barnes & Noble and found a ton. My first thought was Harry Potter, but that's a cop-out - a million people will do that. So I kept looking, and now it's between the following ten (in alphabetical order, so as not to indicate preferences):

The BFG
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlotte's Web
Cheaper By the Dozen
The Indian in the Cupboard
Mary Poppins
Matilda
The Secret Garden
Tuck Everlasting
A Wrinkle in Time


More keep springing to mind every second; I'd better stop. But anyway, I still own all of those books as far as I know, except for Tuck Everlasting, but I checked it out of the library so many times that I might as well own it. I could do a report on any one of those without having to read the book again or look up a single thing; I have them practically memorized. Anyway... votes?

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger