:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

donderdag 25 maart 2004

I love those little tiny candles... 'theelichten' I think they're called here, 'tea lights'... makes me think of the last night of every camp session, when we all walk silently to the lake after the ceremony, carrying our little paper plates with the tiny candles... and then we set them in the lake and if the wind is right, they float away... a lake of tiny bobbing lights...

I don't think I ever really did that with the others, at least not more than once or twice. My first year, I was a two-weeker so I wasn't there for that night, and ever since my CIT year I've been a tower singer - a few of us are picked to go up onto the Blob tower to sing certain songs, and what we sing signals the girls to put their candles in, or to gather for Taps, or whatever. I like it - the view is great from up there.

Sorry - tangent. The point is, I had a sack of 50 of those candles, so I lit a whole bunch of them last night when Martin was here - just felt like it - and those candles weren't completely 'used up', they still had a little wax left. So I decided to light them all again tonight just for the fun of it, so they'd be completely gone. One by one they went out, and the room got steadily darker. Those little lights are so cheerful...

Oh, and I got shoes today. (Finally! says Mom.) Not really cheap - 59 euro - but I have picky feet, and that's about the same as what Mom and I end up paying at home - $70-something. They're nice - New Balance, a brand that always fits me. Light blue, gray, and white. So yeah, I'll be the only Dutch-speaking girl walking around in sneakers - you don't see that on the girls here - but so what. On guys, sure, but never on girls - they always wear boots or heels or very occasionally the 'trendy' style sneakers... you know, the ones with the completely flat soles that wreak havoc met Jess's feet... It's a joke that if someone is wearing sneakers and white socks, that's a sure-fire way to identify an American. LOL. Oh, but this time they did NOT speak English to me when I asked to use my Visa. Probably because Martin was with me and they heard us speaking Dutch. But still. Progress. :)

(That was weird - I almost said I would be "the only Dutch girl" walking around in sneakers. I caught that mistake as I was typing, but also, I've just reread the above paragraph, and I've accidentally said 'met' (Dutch for 'with'), smack in the middle of an English paragraph. Didn't even notice. Hmm. Think it's bedtime.)

Other news... I turned in my big assignment for translating, and I only have one assignment left to do. Well, two things, but they're both part of the same thing... my exam. Two bits from short stories - one Dutch, one English - and we have to translate them. They're more modern than the stuff we've been doing in class lately, thank goodness, and I have until 6 April to finish. But I'm sure she doesn't expect me to do the Dutch bit all on my own, even if it is an exam, so who wants to help proofread? Tristan, you ASKED me for homework, so I'm looking at you! LOL!

I've discovered a bunch of nice new songs lately... here's a sample: Jamelia - "Superstar", Trijntje Oosterhuis - "Don't Say That You Love Me", and Hilary Duff - "Come Clean." Oh, and Catie, pay attention: Marco's new DVD came out on the 18th and there are 5 songs which I specifically want to recommend to you - to everyone, actually, but especially to you because you won't hear them otherwise... "Afscheid nemen bestaat niet" and "Voorbij" (those two are slow and have already been out for a while over here... "Voorbij" is a duet with Do, the one who sings "Heaven"... did you know she was Dutch? I didn't), plus "Zeg het maar", "Laat me gaan", and especially "Dat ben jij." Those are all fast, and especially that last one has been in my head for days now, it's awesome... Anyway, get on Kazaa! :) Otherwise I can hook you up via MSN. Oh, and you have to see the video for "Afscheid nemen bestaat niet"... sooo touching... As everyone knows, I am not a crier, far from it, but even I get a bit choked up. :)

Okay... bedtime for the caught-between-languages girl... no class tomorrow, yay! Vrijdag (Friday) is thus really a 'vrije dag' (free day)... as the name would suggest... and David, no jokes about Vrijen-dag! LOL! ;)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger