:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 17 maart 2004

Hmmm. I have an interesting "Search EXE" toolbar that now pops up when I open Internet Explorer - no clue where it came from, since I haven't installed anything new... weird. And annoying.

Yes, Jess is once again going to be a busy little bee when she gets back to Gainesville... I gravitated back to that paramedic thing that I was talking about in December. It struck me as a good thing to have for one MORE reason: it's a job that I could have no matter which country I end up living in. With translating, the need depends on the country. For example, there's no need for Dutch in the USA, just as there's no real need for Spanish here. But anyway, aside from all that - like Mom says, I keep gravitating toward medicine, and this is a way that I can do it without having to go to school for a dozen years. So I'm planning to take the EMT-Basic course at Santa Fe (the community college in Gainesville) in the fall semester - classes three evenings a week and clinical shifts on weekends. Plus my regular UF classes, which, as I posted last week, will be two linguistic classes, college algebra, swimming, and sign language - so nothing too difficult.

...So I may not have time for that job after all, unfortunately. Which sucks, because I was really enthusiastic about it. But the difference here is that this is something I could potentially do long-term (and which earns a LOT more money), whereas the child care job is just a sort of earn-money-and-stay-in-one-place-in-your-life kind of job. Being an EMT is a step up, and it's something I've always wanted to do. And it only takes a semester. So I figure, why not just do it and see if this is really something I could see myself doing? So I e-mailed the Santa Fe people and also the UF coordinator, because there's a 40-hour course I have to take there before I can enroll in the EMT program. But anyway, so I'm going to have a busy first semester, but it's worth it - it'll finally settle that what-if-I'd-done-medicine question that keeps hanging over my head.

Helene is here, by the way - Scott's girlfriend from Paris. She got here yesterday. And I have to admit, the two of them together are a.) really cute, and b.) really efficient. They took out the trash (I was finally about to give in and do it, even though I'd done it the past two times, but then they suddenly did it... nice one) and mopped the kitchen and bathroom floors - a chore we haven't done since, oh, September. I always feel uncomfortable in the apartment when she's here, though - I can't explain why that is, but it's a sucky feeling. I like her a lot, it's nothing to do with her personally... just a feeling.

Anyway, Lotte and Martin are coming over tomorrow for dinner, so that'll balance it out a bit. ;) They're going to try my REAL macaroni and cheese, haha! And shrimp... and what else? Weird to be playing host... :)

Bought new earrings today at Six (Americans: it's like Claire's, or Afterthoughts, or any of those teeny mall stores which are basically all jewelry and a little hair stuff). So I got those glow-in-the-dark ones I wanted (blue and white, so not TOO tacky - they had pink and yellow...), plus two pairs of dice (white and black - on the same card), and then a pair of those long dangly ones which look like pieces of silver string going through your earlobe and then hanging down again on the back side. Of course there's really an earring back, it's just an optical illusion, but it looks cool. I am so addicted to earrings...

Anyway, I'm off to finish my Dutch Present-Day Society assignment... ciao!!!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger