:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 18 februari 2004

Eureka!!! REVELATION... something that has been nagging at me ever since I got here just made itself plain. I'm sitting here eating hagelslag, those sprinkles that the Dutch put on bread, and those of you who've been with me a while on this site will recall that waaaay back when, I asked what vruchtenhagel tasted like. I said that I knew it tasted like some candy I used to eat as a child, something like SweeTarts but that it wasn't those. Well, with the first bite, I remembered: PEZ!!! Those tablet-like candies that you eat out of the dispensers with the heads on them? THAT's what it tastes like. I'm glad I finally remembered that - it's crossed my mind every single time I buy the stuff and I never resolved it.

Well, I had that translating class again this morning at 9 and man, am I scared. I have TWO assignments to do for next time - Friday - both English to Dutch, and both considerably longer than the first one. One of them is from last time; I have to do it now because I don't have the Norton Anthology that all the English majors have, so I couldn't do the assignment for last time. Anyway, so there's that, PLUS three pages of Anne in Green Gables. Now, that's nice on one hand - it's a book I've read, like, a hundred times - but for those of you who have read it: remember how Anne talks? All those big words and dreamy eyes and all? Wish me luck at packing all THAT into my mediocre Dutch... oh well, but I did start talking to this girl after class who had the same problem with the anthology - what was her name - Birgitte? Anyway, she asked me something 'practical' about the class, where to get the handouts or something, and I answered that I didn't know how everything worked yet... and then I went on to say that I was getting scared because I was the only one with English as a first language. Her eyes went wide and she said (still in Dutch) "I hadn't even noticed - couldn't even hear it!" That was reassuring. :) (Tristan: it means that that one horrible night in the car when I had a sore throat really ISN'T how I normally talk... phew... *wipes sweat off brow*) Anyway, so she and I 'kidnapped' the teacher's book and photocopied some of the texts we need, so I'm set for the next week or two.

Anyway, so then I swung by Broese and picked up my book for Dutch Present-Day Society, which finally came in, and then dropped by the Albert Heijn for the essentials and then came home. But somewhere in between those two I got accosted by a member of an animal rights group. "Mag ik iets vragen?" Sigh... I never stop for those people, I just smile and shake my head or pretend my music is too loud and I can't hear them, but for some reason I did stop for her, and she launched off into a monologue, complete with pictures, about all the things they were trying to stop from happening. Anyway, she was asking for money, of course, so when she finally got to the 'important' part I first tried laughing her off, "No, sorry, I'm just a poor student, no extra money..." but she kept on going so finally I just said "You're very convincing, but not now." She left me alone then. Sigh.

So here I am again... home. And my bedroom is sunny for a change and there are purple and white and yellow flowers coming up outside (no, wait, it's not spring yet, stop growing!) and although I'm tired, I'm actually in a very good mood. Which will, sadly, soon evaporate, because I have to start on those translations. We don't really get 'graded' on those in the sense of a grade out of 10, but we have to turn them all in and they have to be reasonably good.

Better start now, dus.

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger