:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 10 december 2003

Got my Boswell results today – passed with a ‘goed’, the highest possibility. M and A too. Yay!

It’s official – our princess is Catharina Amalia. Sounds like my sister – Caitlin Amelia. But they’re going to call her Amalia. That’s good – they found a name that works both in Dutch and Spanish. (For those who don’t know, Máxima is Argentinian.) I don’t know why I keep saying ‘our’ princess… I guess because I feel like I’m a part of it since I was here when she was born. I don’t really like the idea of a monarchy – I mean, I come from America, I’m diametrically opposed to that sort of thing – but I still like them all as people. They seem a lot more personable than, for example, George W. Bush (or, as Google calls him, Miserable Failure… LMAO!) One last thought: I wish English had a diminutive suffix. ‘Prinsesje’ (or ‘prinsesita’ in Spanish) are so much nicer of words than ‘little princess’. All we have is ‘princess-ette’ and that’s stupid. :)

New topic. I was worried about P since I hadn’t heard from him in a while – imagination running wild, etc. (I mean, he does have a dangerous job, he’s always telling me about the people he catches with weapons and how he wants a bulletproof vest) – but I just found out the real problem: his dog. He works with a police dog, I’ve said that before, and the dog attacked him the other day. (But he’s okay.) This was obviously unexpected, since the dog is not only his work partner but also lives with him at home as his pet, so someone noticed the fact that the dog often rubs his face against the ground, against P, against whatever’s handy (something I had also noticed)… so they did an X-ray to see if there was something wrong ‘inside’, and it turned out the dog has a brain tumor, making him unpredictable. So he obviously can’t work anymore, and since he’s a highly trained police dog capable of extreme violence, he can’t be adopted by a family or anything. So he has to be put down, and P had to get a new dog. And on top of all that, his personal phone is in the shop until Monday and he just got his work phone back this morning. (Which are the only two places my number is.) So I’m very sorry about the dog, but he’s happy with the new one and I’m glad that he’s okay, that we’re okay, etc. (I’m understandably a little hypersensitive about anything that looks like ‘distancing’, no matter what the situation, so now I feel very relieved.)

I found a great coat at H&M today – long, gray, quilted nylon, only 40 euro. I liked it, but didn’t buy it, because I couldn’t stop thinking about how I was going to fit it into my suitcase. I may end up going back for it, though… Mom, what would you do? I have a coat already, that’s true, but not a long one… and it’s cheap… and it looks nice…

I think I’m going to have to withdraw a bunch of cash from my American account and deposit it into my Dutch one… I have to pay 54 euro with an… uhh… what’s that little piece of paper called that you use for an opdracht? An acceptgiro or something? Anyway, so I have to pay that for the NT2 and then my as-usual-far-too-high cell phone bill will automatically be withdrawn… so… yeah.

Downloaded Agent and Jill of the Jungle today – the two games I loved when I was younger and have never found in any store because they’re so old, like 1992. So I downloaded the shareware versions. But I remember once – only once – playing Jill 2 and 3, which I have really never seen, not even as shareware. I think I got them from my uncle. But then they got lost somehow… I think that was my first computer, or did I even have my own computer back then? I can’t remember. I know I got my first good one for my 16th birthday… Dad ran a red ribbon all through the house and I had to follow it, and then it ended up in my room at a brand-new computer! I was so stoked… I had that computer for three and a half years, up until this past July, when Mom and Dad bought me this laptop so I could take it overseas. And it rocks, if I may say so. :)

I’m being very clever and condensing my CDs and DVDs to one small 12-disc book. That way Mom and Dad can take the enormous heavy book home with them when they go. How am I accomplishing this? Simple… copying all my CDs to my hard drive. I’ve already finished. Then I’m only in trouble if my computer crashes again, knock on wood. What’s that in Dutch? Afkloppen. Anyway, I only have a fraction of my discs with me, but so much the better. I am excited to go back though – I can’t wait to be set up in La Mancha with my computer hooked into my stereo the way it is at home. My stereo is an AWESOME 51-disc changer, so I can have like half my collection in there at once, and plus I can hook the speakers into my computer so I can play my mp3s through the stereo as well. The one down side is that it’s fairly old so it doesn’t play burned CDs, but so what?

Anyway, so now I’m watching DVDs for ‘one last time’. I just finished Bridget Jones (the one DVD that like everybody has) and now I’m moving on to Dirty Dancing. I fell asleep for like four hours this afternoon so bed’s not happening anytime soon. (No class till 15.00 tomorrow, so no worries.) Bye…

P.S. I get to go to Paris! Not very soon, but still. One of my best Stanton friends, F, is studying abroad this year too, on an island next to Africa, and when she flies home she’ll be going through Paris and staying a few days. So I get to take the train and meet her there. Yay! I haven’t seen her since May and I’ve never been to Paris. So – cool! (But weird to think that she left after me and will be home before me… That’s good though, because she’s got a boyfriend back home and I definitely know how the long-distance thing feels. Good luck, F!!!)

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger