:: eye of the storm ::


About Me

A 27-year-old PA student who wants to visit all seven continents, write a book, work at a pediatric clinic in Africa, and basically meet as many of the world's challenges as possible.

View my complete profile

current mood:
current mood

Life List

(already accomplished)

Become a PA

Visit all 7 continents

Take a SwimTrek trip

Bike through Western Europe

Raft the Grand Canyon

Improve my Spanish proficiency

Go on safari in Africa

Trace my roots at Ellis Island

Vacation in Hawaii

Work on a hospital ship in a Third World country

Celebrate New Year's in Times Square

Visit all 50 states (29 to go: AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY)

See the ruins at Pompeii

Swim in Capri's Blue Grotto

Tour Mt. Vesuvius

Throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain

Tour the Colosseum

Visit the D-Day beaches

See the Mona Lisa

Visit the palace at Versailles

See the Acropolis and Parthenon

See the Egyptian pyramids

Hike the Inca Trail

Walk El Camino Santiago

Take an Alaskan cruise

View the Taj Mahal at sunrise

Hike Table Mountain in South Africa

Climb through the Amazon canopy

Walk at least part of the Great Wall of China

Get laser hair removal

Learn to surf, ski, and snowboard

Learn to drive a stick-shift

Learn to play the piano

Go on a tropical cruise

Ride horseback on the beach

Ride in a hot air balloon

Get tickets to the Olympics

Go to adult Space Camp

Witness a shuttle launch from up close

Build a full-sized snowman

Sew a quilt out of my old race T-shirts

Update and continue my Life Scrapbook

Become the oldest person to ever do the River Run

Live to be a happy, healthy 100 years old - at least!

(unlikely dreams)

woensdag 22 oktober 2003

Current Music: Guns & Roses - "Sweet Child of Mine"

Hello again! First off I should say that I've moved the Auschwitz description to the October archives, because this page was getting too long... so check there if that's what you're looking for.

Other stuff... well, Boswell is officially over... CI anyway. We got our evaluations today and I got a 'ruim voldoende', which is one step from the highest mark. As I'd thought, listening was my lowest grade, but Petra assured me that everyone had had similar problems. And she specifically praised my writing, saying that I'd come a long way with that, from my "Internet writing" to being able to write more formally. Anyway, so I enrolled for CII in the afternoons. I'd have liked mornings because then Petra would have still been one of my teachers, but the afternoon group gets a woman and a man as teachers so it'll be better for my listening problems to do afternoons. (Plus I won't have to get up so early! :)) I hope that works out with my Second Language Acquisition class... stupid Dutch scheduling strikes again: that class meets in the morning sometimes and in the afternoon sometimes, so I wouldn't be able to go to all of the classes. But I think it'll work out, since Boswell ends on 10 December and the university block goes on for much longer, into January or even February. I talked to the professor about it and he said that if I only had to miss classes for a few weeks, that it should be OK.

Two of my good friends from Boswell, E and L, aren't continuing... :'(. L is too busy with work and E has too many other classes. And I found out today that Dutch is E's sixth language!!! How jealous am I?!?! She's from Switzerland, so she speaks German and French (since they have 4 official languages), plus English and Spanish, plus Serbian because her parents are Serbian. And now Dutch. So she grew up bilingual and then learned 3 more languages in school, and now she's here. Apparently that's not unusual for the Swiss, but it sure is for an American. I'm sooo jealous! I'd give my right arm to have been raised bilingual...

Stupid online security rules! I have a profile on a website where people are supposed to have to subscribe (read: pay) to be able to contact you, but I think that's a rip-off, so I've been trying to find a 'secret' way to get my e-mail address into the profile. Which I did, with my Comcast address, since apparently their computer scan isn't set to pick up 'comcast' as a 'no' keyword (for instance, the computer would automatically throw your profile out if it said Hotmail or Yahoo or something, I'm sure). But then I edited the profile a little, thus had to resubmit it, and this time it caught my sneaky attempt, so now I'm fighting with cyberspace trying to find a new way to do it. And I *will* win... but I think they must have people checking them after they've been rejected a certain number of times, because this latest time, I disguised Hotmail as 'He Ought To Make An Ice Lollipop' and it still threw it out. Sigh. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

So now I have a break from Boswell until 3 November. But I still have regular classes on Tuesdays and Fridays... wonder if I could squeeze a trip in there somewhere? S and I were looking at the Eurail site to see if that was something we'd be interested in, and it is, but only for a real trip, like the one I just made. S wanted to use his to go to France cheaper, but we figured out that it's actually not that great of a deal if you're using it for that purpose. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to moving into LaMancha. Not that I want to leave here, not at all - I'm just the kind of person who always needs something to look forward to, and being excited about that will make it easier to leave when that time does eventually roll around. I've been thinking about it a lot lately... living with Dutch people so I won't 'lose' the language, having things like my stereo and all my books back again, being back in the warm weather, paying $345 instead of $410 rent... sounds nice, hé? Again, I'm absolutely not ready to leave NL - I've just been thinking about that since I need to apply within a month or two to make sure I get a place. I think international students get priority, so I want to get my name in there ASAP.

Anyway, guess I'll be on my way now. It's only 15.26 but I'm really sleepy for some reason. Ciao!

My Stuff

Blogs I Read

Blogging Since 2003


Free Blog Counter
Poker Blog

Powered by Blogger